Tuesday, October 12, 2010

8 Random Thoughts on Women, The Three Peat and Mad Men

Oh Jessica!
You may find this blog entry to be a bit personal than the usual (I rarely write about myself unlike in my early blogging years) but it is actually used to inject some style in conveying my insights. By the way, before you call me a LeBronesque douchebag for referring to myself in the third person in the questions, it’s either I want to experiment on some new style or I am finding it hard to put it in the “8 Random Thoughts” style of question. Either way, the Atenean Fanalyst does not like to be called a douchebag.

* - if you don’t read from my blogspot, I am the Atenean Fanalyst.

Hey! Stop calling me a douchebag.

Random Thought #1: Is Jessica Mendoza the “greatest of all-time” when it comes to UAAP courtside reporting?

One more Jessica Mendoza pic
Now that we may have probably seen the last time Jessica do her courtside reporting for UAAP basketball, I think that this is the time to evaluate if she is the best. Before Jessica, we have seen a good share of quality courtside reporting. Lia Cruz was actually the greatest then. She could convey her thoughts in a very informative manner. She does not need to lengthen her reports and I rarely see her reading her notes (either that or I was just not observant then). Whenever I watched Lia, I always felt that she had a substantial knowledge on the history of basketball (even if what she once said in an interview was contrary to that). Above it all, she was never biased. UAAP also had Gretchen Fullido – the only three-peating courtside reporter. Honestly, she is quite good but there are times when she gets overly biased. Patty Laurel and Sharon Yu were also awesome reporters. These eye candies exude remarkable confidence whenever they hold the microphone.

But, these were pre-Jessica. Thus, we ask the question: was Jessica better than them? Objectively, Jessica was a one-of-a-kind reporter. She is arguably the cutest I have ever seen. She has that charisma that makes her a favorite of red-blooded males. I have some friends over at the Facebook that are fans of her. My buddy Vin (who is a Lasallian) once told me that “Jessica is Ateneo’s best gift to UAAP.” I once read from a forum that some Ateneo fans even chanted “Jes-si-ca!” in a lopsided basketball match. As for me, I have to admit that I was a huge Jessica Mendoza fan. I regularly listened to Top 5@5 last year by connecting to eradioportal.com. Heck, I even requested for a song (via Facebook) when she was the DJ. If you know me personally, you will never think of me as someone who requests songs from a radio stations. That was my first time, and fortunately she played it and even said my name on air.

However, this blog’s purpose has always been about analyzing things. I may be a fan but I am always trying to be objective in situations like this. Jessica is regarded as one of the best (if not the best) in the past two years. She has that lovely voice that remains audible despite of the overwhelming noise in the background. Her reports are very informative as she gets notable excerpts from the players. If I am not mistaken, she goes to team practices to gather interesting information. But if we are going to take note of the positives, we must also reveal the negatives. Even in her second year, I could still observe Jessica reading from her notes. Je’s basketball knowledge is not as impressive as compared to her showbiz rumor skills in Top 5@5. And even if Jessica is the best for the last two years, she did not have great “competition” as compared to Lia Cruz.

Objectively, Lia Cruz is still the GOAT of courtside reporters.

My Conscience: Have you forgotten that Jessica is the most beautiful of them all? What about the day when she re-tweeted and replied to you? What date was that again? 09/09/09! She also played your song even if most people did not get theirs. Lia did not wear a cheerleader outfit. Jessica did it twice.

Me: Aaaargh! Must stay objective. Hey, both of them are Ateneans anyway.

My Conscience: Jessica is Ateneo’s Lucky Charm. She was 2 for 2. Lia, on the other hand, was the courtside reporter in Ateneo’s heartbreak years in the 2000’s.

Me: Damn! After all, I am still a fan. “Fanalyst” starts with the word “fan” before “analyst.” OK, fine. Jessica Mendoza is the GOAT of courtside reporters.

By the way, that is not my conscience. What kind of conscience convinces you by using cheerleader outfit as the reason?

Random Thought #2: As an Ateneo die-hard fan, is it true that I only consider Ateneo women when looking for my significant other?

This was actually asked to me by an officemate last year. My answer then remains the same: No. You can ask my ex-girlfriend if you want further evidence. No matter how die-hard a fan I am, it does not make me choosy in the matters of the heart.

However, I admit that I have that slight preference on Ateneans. It is a no-brainer, after all. Of course, there is a high chance that we have common things. I will not have the worry of watching UAAP games with her having the innate interest in rooting for my team. Conversations can be about Ateneo stuff from Fr. Ferriols’ “Meron” and the school culture. Wavelength would not be that much of an issue as well.

But as mentioned, it is a no-brainer. The second preference in the hierarchy is actually what is more interesting. After Ateneo, which school is next? You may be surprised but my answer is actually La Salle. (My fictional conscience exclaims NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!) Yup, you read it right. After all, it is a slight preference only. (Suddenly, my friends who hesitated on introducing me to their Green Friends start shaking their heads in surprise)  No matter how much I playfully bash DLSU, I have to admit that I still like them. Most of my non-Atenean friends went to La Salle. Heck, my brother is a Lasallian. Them being our rivals actually make it interesting. Lasallians - no matter how they hate Ateneans – actually take the rivalry with pride. Our green friends from Taft do not get insecure when people tout the Ateneo-La Salle rivalry special. After an Ateneo-La Salle game, one treats the other depending on the result of the game. But it’s not just about rivalry. It’s mostly because Ateneans and Lasallians think at similar wavelengths. This is probably one of the reasons why a lot of Ateneans have significant other from La Salle.

Having said these, I would note that these are just slight preferences. At the end of the day, it is the person who matters.

Random Thought #3: As a die-hard fan of teams of various sports, which team is my favorite of them all?


Three-Peat!!!
Before I start answering this question, I will list all of my favorite teams and their achievements when I rooted for them.

National Basketball Association: Utah Jazz – 1st runner-up (1997 and 1998); Cleveland Cavaliers – 1st runner up (2007)
Philippine Basketball Association:* Purefoods – Champion (1993 All-Filipino; 1994 Commissioner’s Cup; 1997 All-Filipino; 2002 Governor’s Cup)
* - I stopped following PBA after Fil-Ams heavily influenced the game
UAAP: Ateneo Blue Eagles – Champion (2002, 2008, 2009, 2010)
NCAA: Mapua Red Cardinals
US NCAA: Duke Blue Devils – Champion (2010)
Major League Baseball: Atlanta Braves – Champion (1995); Boston Red Sox – Champion (2004, 2007)
National Football League: Green Bay Packers; New England Patriots

Looking at the list, I experienced several championships from my teams through the years. I am actually fortunate for that or else it might have shattered my childhood. The Purefoods dynasty in the 90s (yes, they were a dynasty because they were always in the All-Filipino Finals) was special because it was my first sports team. One’s childhood sports teams are always special because children are the most passionate, irrational and emotional sports fans. However, I stopped avidly following the PBA by the time I studied in college (2002). I still root for my other childhood teams though (Atlanta Braves and Utah Jazz). I stuck with them through the hard times so it feels great whenever I get to see them return to the playoffs. I actually rooted for Mapua when I was a child (because my parents graduated there) but they were not too prominent and we do not watch NCAA that much.

But no matter how special my childhood teams were, nothing beats the experience of being an Ateneo Blue Eagles fan. It might be that it was just in 2001 (way back in high school) when I started following them, but what makes them special is the fact that I am part of the institution. The reason why American teams – no matter how weak they can be – get a good following is because their teams are home-based. There is a special feeling of following a team that represents something in you as compared to a team you just handpicked out of thirty.

This is why I am elated when Ateneo won its three-peat this year. Not only is it the first of my favorite teams to achieve such honor, it is because I am an Atenean. I am fully certain that I will not lose my rooting interest with them.

And of course, nothing beats cheering my heart out whenever I am in Araneta. Kasi masarap talaga maging Atenista.

Random Thought #4: You bashed DLSU in your last writeup because they were no threat and were weak. Then, what about the Ateneo team in 2005 – your final schoolyear? They were so weak then that the La Salle team had that fake photoshoot in midcourt.

(Waiting for a comeback…)

Since I could not answer that, here is the real Random Thought #4…

Random Thought #4: What are my thoughts on Tom Brady’s Bieber Hair?

The Bieberady
My first reaction was, “What the eff?! Has Tom Brady lost his mind?!” I just could not believe that a superstar on one of the most manly sports is imitating Justin Bieber. What is worse is that, I am a Brady fan. I was flabbergasted and I did not know how to react properly. I was either mocking Brady or I was making up weird reasons as to why Brady decided to do so. Because of that, I have called Tom Brady “Bieberady.” I just checked Google and it seems that no one has invented that yet, so I’ll own the trademark of this mockery of my idol. (what a shame!) I even mentioned a song (Brady, Brady, Brady…Ohhhh!) to some of my friends. I am actually planning to buy a Brady jersey but I had second thoughts because people might think Justin Bieber when I wear it.

For weeks, I either mocked Brady for it or I just played Madden 2011 where Brady is not yet Bieberady. I once asked Ferdie about it, “If your wife is Gisele Bundchen and she tells you to have Bieber Hair, will you do it?” He said, “in a heartbeat.” I could not believe it at that time. All I was thinking was, Brady should have some pride. Gisele, as his loving wife, should understand him for what he wants to do with his hair.

Recently, I realized one important quote from one of my favorite novels (“A Song of Ice and Fire”). Jaime Lannister had that trademark quote whenever he does something stupid for his lover/sister (like pushing a kid off a window). “The things I do for love.” That is what Jaime always tells. And, that must have been what is going Tom Brady’s mind. It does not matter how millions of fans laugh at him for his stupid hair. All that matters is that he pleases his wife. After all, love is never fully rational.

After a month of denial, I respect your decision, Mr. Bieberady – er – Mr. Brady.

Random Thought #5: Speaking of love, what is the best emo song of all time?

I do not listen to emo songs anymore, but I think I can easily answer this question. The best emo song is, hands down, Jimmy Eat World’s “23.” After all these years, I realized that it never gets tiring to listen to this song.

But wait, what makes a song an emo song?

1)    It should be about love and it should be tragic.
2)    It heavily uses high notes (both vocally and in instruments).
3)    Its lyrics are expressive and confessional.
4)    If heavy metal was intrapersonal, emo would be more interpersonal as the persona usually whines to his friends or to his lover.
5)    Emo usually evokes a sad mood – if ever it is hopeful, it will just kill all hope in the end.

Why is “23” the best? It is because Jimmy Eat World got the correct musical progression to make the listener emote with the persona. It is one of the songs where you will feel the emotion even if it is all about the instruments. Its lyrics are bittersweet and heartwrenching. Just read the lyrics below:

“It was my turn to decide | I knew this was our time | No one else will have me like you do | No one else will have me, only you.”

“You’ll sit alone forever | If you wait for the right time | What are you hoping for? | I’m here, I’m now, I’m ready | Holding on tight | Don’t give away the end | The one thing that stays mine.”

“I won’t always love what I’ll never have | I won’t always live in my regrets.”

After that, Jimmy Eat World utilizes one of the best guitar solos of all-time (OK, I am exaggerating but it is really good).

Why am I mentioning this? It is because Jimmy Eat World just released its new album, “Invented” and even if it is awesome, “23” continues to be that timeless JEW song that I can listen from time to time. As of now, I think the best song in “Invented” is “Mixtape.”

Random Thought #6: How does it feel to see the Atlanta Braves back in the MLB Playoffs?


Whatever happens, thank you, Bobby!
Awe – wait for it – some. AWESOME! I actually thought that they had the legit chance ever since May, but after I saw them losing several games in the end of regular season, I am just thankful that they made Bobby Cox’ final year memorable.

Feeling before Game 3:

I was not able to watch Game 2 live because I need to work in the office. Thus, I had to regularly check ESPN during lunch time. I was actually scared when I first saw Dr. A’s (of Rotoworld) tweet that the Braves suck. I did not want Atlanta to fall in a 0-2 spot before heading to Turner Field. I checked ESPN and saw that the Braves just climbed out of a 0-4 hole by scoring four runs in the seventh and eighth innings. I felt the tension when I saw Atlanta ending the ninth inning scoreless. I might just be checking it via the Internet but it was still nerve-wracking. I could not show any emotion either because that would be crazy. I never knew that refreshing a scoreboard can be this intense.

The game went extra innings and the Braves struggled to get on base. On the other hand, San Francisco got the bases loaded in the tenth inning (with just one freaking out). Then, my Internet stopped refreshing. That was horror because I do not have an idea on what was happening. I heaved a sigh of relief when I found out that Atlanta managed to escape the inning. Little did I know that it was via a clutch double play by Troy Glaus. After several clicks on the refresh button, Atlanta’s score changed from 4 to 5. The Braves scored! I was ecstatic as I tried to suppress my emotions (because my officemates might think that I am crazy). The moment was priceless when the game ended with Atlanta winning it 5-4. After all these years of waiting, Atlanta is back at its favorite playing field – the September games.

Feeling after Game 3:

Two effin’ errors?! And both resulted to Giants runs?! You’ve got to be kidding me! Brooks Conrad, $(&)(&%)(!@$!)!!!!

I am not sure if you are reading this after Game 4, but whatever happens later, I hope Atlanta extends Cox’ career as their manager. It will surely feel weird next year to watch the Braves without Bobby Cox (it’s like watching Utah without Jerry Sloan). However, all good things come to an end. I just hope Bobby gets the fairy tale ending he deserves. After all, Atlanta battled several season-ending injuries, deficits and umpire fumbles (eff you, umpires for costing us Game 1).

Go Braves!

Random Thought #7: Why did I write about Don Draper being the most likeable character this year?!

Don Draper
After watching Don Draper cheat on his new girlfriend (Dr. Faye Miller), I am just dumbfounded because I thought he had learned from his past relationship. After Pete saved him from possible imprisonment, all Don did was look at his secretary lustfully. I guess his childhood scars were just too much that it damaged every good idea he had on relationships and women.

Having said that, great job to Matt Weiner for creating this flawed protagonist. No wonder, “Mad Men” Season 4 is the best season that the show has done.

Random Thought #8: Which woman will win the Don Draper Sweepstakes?

Ermm… this seems to be contradicting to my previous statement because Don Draper is a terrible husband. Nevertheless, he is the star of the show so let us evaluate who should end up with him.

Joan Harris
1)    Joan Harris. At the start of the season, I was one of those who were thrilled to see a possible pairing between Joan and Don. After all, Joan (played by Christina Hendricks) is the hottest character in the show. With her rapist husband joining the Vietnam War, it was highly probable that Joan ends up a widow before the season ends. Unfortunately, that has not happened yet. What killed the chances further is the fact that she is being paired with Roger Sterling (John Slattery). But, there is a looming chance that Roger might commit suicide so the Don-Joan tandem is still possible. Chances of a Don-Joan Relationship: Very Unlikely

2)    Betty Francis. It feels weird to call her Betty Francis, instead of Betty Draper. It’s like Joan is better as Joan Holloway than Joan Harris. Nevertheless, I am not rooting for a return on the Don-Betty relationship. It was a failed one after all. They both cheated on each other and we know that Betty was just a trophy wife that Don was not happy to have a relationship with. However, I am mentioning Betty in here because I would like to retract my statement that she is the most unlikeable TV character. Betty has redeemed herself ever since she got jealous of Don in “The Summer Man.” She has accepted him and has moved on with her life. Furthermore, it was heartwarming to see Betty keep Don’s huge secret. They may be a failed couple, but she did the honorable thing that failed couples should do – keep each other’s secrets and respect each other despite the differences. Chances of a Don-Betty Relationship: If Matt Weiner incurs amnesia.

3)    Bethany Van Nuys. If she ends up with Don, he is just making another huge mistake. Bethany is Betty v 2.0. She is a young trophy wife that does not have common things with Don. However, it is more likely to see her and Don than Joan or Betty. Don had slight interest on Bethany and they are not forcing it. There is a plausible chance that it could still turn out well. Chances of a Don-Bethany Relationship: Slight Chance

4)    Peggy Olson. As most pundits point it, Peggy is the new Anna Draper. Don and Peggy have the special bond. Master and the apprentice. They share personal secrets that other people do not know. Don may have been mean to Peggy for a lot of times but it has incredibly lessened down since “The Suitcase.” Don even trusts Peggy to singlehandedly do the creative pitches. Furthermore, Peggy was the primary reason why Don’s downward spiral took a halt. However, Anna and Don Draper never became a romantic couple (technically they were but still). Pundits wish for a platonic relationship between Don and Peggy and that has been the way for the second half of the season. But just like the Don-Bethany tandem, Peggy and Don do not seem to have forced interactions. Chances of a Don-Peggy Relationship: This is the dark horse tandem so I say that there is at least a 20% chance.

Megan
5)    Megan. She emerged from a dark horse to a huge threat in “The Chinese Wall.” Don’s secretary has shown interest in Don and he easily obliged by doing “it” with her. Actually, it was not a totally impressive turn of events if you are rooting for Megan. It just showed that she is more of a temptress with little emotional intentions. But since she was the only lady who comforted Sally – Don’s daughter – the right way, Megan holds an ace in her hand. The other card that she has is also good. After all, she is Jessica Pare. As Alan Sepinwall quips it. You just do not cast Jessica Pare as an extra. Chances of a Don-Megan Relationship: Huge Threat so it should be around 30%.

6)    Dr. Faye Miller. My favorite of them all. I have jumped in the Faye Miller bandwagon ever since she revealed to Don that her engagement ring is fake. The evolution of their relationship was not that forced as well. Faye had a boyfriend for some episodes and Don just came in the picture after Faye and her boyfriend broke up (with the awesome line that Faye exclaimed – “Go shit in the ocean!”). They started the dating after Don’s downward spiral so there were no traces of forced and fickle actions.

Faye Miller is the perfect girlfriend
However, the Don-Faye tandem took a huge hit last week when Don slept with Megan. Faye was also not in good terms with Sally. However, that is how relationships go. There is no such thing as a perfect one. Both of them have tried to compromise for and understand each other. Faye even did a huge sacrifice last week by revealing the business secret of Ponds. She went that far just to show that she cares for Don. Or as I have mentioned, “the things we do for love.”

Above it all, Dr. Faye Miller holds the current best cards – she converses well with Don and they have a good two-way relationship. We all know Don as a very reserved guy but he has already shared strong secrets easily to Faye. She also revealed some to Don even to the point of saying that her father is related to the mafia. Communication is one of the most important foundations in a relationship. Don and Faye have that one and that is why I think that she should win the Don Draper Sweepstakes. Chances of a Don-Faye Marriage: This is the frontrunner so I think it is 40%.

No comments:

Post a Comment