Saturday, March 5, 2011

8 Random Thoughts: The Jerry Sloan Write-Up

Credit: Sports Illustrated
It has been quite some time since my favorite coach has retired from Utah but it will never be too late to write about him. I have spent almost two decades rooting for Jerry Sloan’s team so this write-up is necessary. I am doing 8 Random Thoughts to have a wider breadth (and I have a shortage of creative juice).

Wearing the D-Will jersey. Yup, I look stupid now.
Coach Jerry Sloan has always been known as great leader. He runs a structured offense that requires hard work, discipline and selflessness. He would not be able to coach this long without being stern and consistent. But before we get to that, let us talk about other interesting current events.

Random Thought #1: How important is it to have swagger in sports?

Very important. If there is one competitive activity where swagger gives a significant advantage that would be sports. Heck, it is even strongly recommended. Being nice and congenial will not bring you success in sports. At a tender age, I already knew this when I was watching those “Rookie of the Year” and “Mighty Ducks” movies. This was largely apparent even in NBA’s golden age as the best trashtalkers like Michael Jordan, Gary Payton, Reggie Miller and Dikembe Mutombo (Dikembe was more of a swagger guy with his finger wagging after a successful block attempt) shone the brightest by putting their opponents out of the game.

Swagger is not only observed in athletes; it is also critical for fans to have the contagious swagger. It is the “We Will Rock You” edge that intimidates the opposing team. Winning fans usually share this immense confidence. Been there, done that. And we are doing it again. Hell, we do not doubt ourselves. This is why my blog entry about my swagger as a fan after the Green Bay Packers’ Super Bowl win was very important to me as a fan. For someone who had horrors in the past, I thought it was just apt for me to end the write-up “Social Network”-style.

Swagger in sports is never meant to be friendly. It is meant to annoy, rattle or intimidate the opposition. Swagger should always have the edge. That, plus the winning tradition would equal to a gargantuan monster that would swallow the weak. For instance, (I was in the wrong end of the stick here but what the heck, it was the perfect example) Cleveland Cavaliers were battling the Boston Celtics in last year’s playoffs. Cleveland had LeBron James, the best regular season record in the East and a raucous set of hungry fans. Boston, on the other hand, was down 1-2 after LeBron laid the smackdown in The Garden. However, Cleveland fans did not share something that the Boston fans had – the championship swagger. This started to sprout in Game 4 where the Celtics were giving the Cavs a hard time. When the Celts got the huge breaks in the fourth quarter, I can still remember the Boston crowd exploding with cheers as Gary Glitter’s “Rock and Roll Pt. 2.” They could smell the opportunity. The C’s ended winning the game and tying the series. Game 5 was in Cleveland. The Cavs fans should take their turn on intimidating their opponents. Unfortunately for them, the Celtics had the swagger. They continued their momentum and devastated Team LeBron. Championship swagger was in full display in Game 6 as the raucous Boston crowd chanted “New York Knicks” to rattle LeBron and his teammates. The Celtics finished the Cavaliers after feeding off their winner’s swagger.

But, what if you never experienced a championship? It is not an excuse to not have swagger either. I never experienced a championship from my favorite team in NBA but if there was one thing I am proud of my team (Utah Jazz) through the years, it would be their fanbase’s relentless swagger. They will do everything to affect the game. Heck, they are even notorious for rattling the referees which make bad calls against Utah’s opponents.

Random Thought #2: Any thoughts on the Ateneo Lady Eagles’ volleyball season?

Yes, we are still talking about balls here (volleyball). All I can say about the Lady Eagles’ bid this year is that, it was another OK season. They advanced to the playoffs for the second straight year but it seems that they could not get over the hump. They have not even defeated the DLSU Lady Spikers for three years. If you cannot beat a playoff team even once in three years, chances of winning the title is bleak. I am happy for the Lady Eagles’ valiant stand against La Salle in the playoffs as their game went to five sets. However, the Lady Eagles still lost. Their powerful core of players is not getting any younger as most of them are in their senior year next year. They need a change.

And you know what change was needed? Swagger. S-W-A-G-G-E-R.

I watched the volleyball games during weekends and I observed that after all these times, the Lady Eagles were always happy go-lucky and jumping all over the place. I do not know what they looked like after getting eliminated but it would not surprise me if they were happy as they shrug it off. Do not get me wrong, that optimistic attitude is great and is much better when applied in real life. But for Christ’s sake, they have not even beaten La Salle at least once in the last three years!

It is time to drop the smile and change it into a game face. A sarcastic, taunting smile is also welcome. If you want to beat them, you have to be nasty to them. The Final Four game this year was one of the Lady Eagles’ best games. They came close to winning in that game – the same game where Bea Pascual taunted her opponent. It was also the same game where the Lady Eagles game some of the Spikers facials. DLSU shrugged it off but it put them off their usual game a bit. For a well-disciplined team like the Lady Spikers, it is sometimes good to attack them unconventionally. UST fed off their swagger and taunting last year when they defeated the powerhouse DLSU team in the Finals. Disruption is the key.

Either way, thank you Bea for that funny taunt. I will surely miss watching you.

Last thought: The Ateneo Lady Eagles this year are probably the most beautiful UAAP team I have watched thus far.

Random Thought #3: Why am I still watching “American Idol” this year?

Pia Toscano is HOT! | Credit: MTV
So much for having the balls to say that I am permanently quitting the show last year. I could not back my statement up. I do not know if it is the habit of watching or it’s just that I was bored while working from home one Friday night . “American Idol” was being shown then + I could not change the channel because I was busy working + I got to hear some good auditions + 20 minutes later = I am hooked again. Damn.

But whatever, it looks good so far. It is refreshing not to hear Simon’s manipulations. And hey, Steve Tyler was better than expected (although those expectations were really low). Randy Jackson also stepped up so kudos to them. I just watched the Top 24 this week and it looks promising. But like when falling in love, never get invested too much early. However, I liked the performances of the following: Casey Abrams (wicked sick!), James Durbin (I found him to be a douche early on but he was awesome with a better rocker edge than Adam Lambert), Pia Toscano (glad that my votes were not wasted), Jacob Lusk (not my cup of tea but was still great), Lauren Alaina, Scotty McCreery and Thia Megia (another not wasted vote).

Yeah, I threw four votes just to try the online voting. I voted without listening to their songs. I am not really proud of it because I am pretty much eating my words from last year. But whatever… at least they delivered quite well.

Random Thought #4: [UPDATED since I am such a slow blogger] Is this year’s batch of “American Idol” contestants better than last year’s?

Hey, Simon Cowell! Suck it! | Credit: How I Met Your Mother

Hey, Simon Cowell! I have two words for you… suck it! Sorry, had to get that out because the scene where Lily Aldrin of “How I Met Your Mother” saying those words to Marshall after the latter did not believe in her was priceless. I am having LSS of that cute scene for a while.

But going back, Simon, suck it! Haha! This year’s batch seems to be more competent than last year’s batch. Last year had more eye candies on the girls’ side (Didi, Lacey, Siobhan, Katie, Crystal…after drinking ten beers). However, there was just too much fodder in the Top 12. This year, even the wild card contestants were impressive. I guess the huge elimination from Top 24 to Top 13 removed the fodders. It also feels refreshing that I have not felt any kind of producer’s manipulation (just kidding…Pia had huge pimping recently but she somehow deserved it). I guess it also helped that there was diversity in this year’s batch. We have the eccentric Casey Abrams singing something that we never heard in Idol stage before. Scotty McCreery was a pleasant treat with his on-point country singing style. Lauren Alaina is like a country version of Allison Iraheta (I bet she goes far because she is a kid and America loves young singers).

I actually liked the outcome of the voting. All the contestants who made the Top 10 were deserving and were the ones that I was rooting for (but I did not predict all of them to come through because I considered Idol’s demographics). The judges put the ones I was expecting to resonate well with the voters (like Stefano which I thought had the female market’s support despite his mediocre take on “Just the Way You Are”). No complaints in there either because they sang well in the clutch. Quick Note: American Idol's ratings are doing better this year than last year. They were even up 12.5% from last week. Simon, suck it!

Random Thought #5: Any thoughts on Jerry Sloan’s sudden retirement?
This photo will always be gut-wrenching to me | Credit: ESPN
I was shocked. It came at a very unexpected time so I did not know how to react. I was ready for another season of Jerry Sloan then he suddenly retires. Since I started watching NBA, he was already coaching the Utah Jazz. He was the guy who made me appreciate how important execution and team play is in team sports. Utah’s unselfish style of play which required a lot of passing was always a thing of beauty. Thus, Jerry Sloan’s retirement came off as the end of an era for me.

What shook me further was the rumor that star player Deron Williams forced Jerry Sloan out. That was a punch on the gut to a Jazz fan like me. Deron is the face of Utah. I was proud for rooting for him in the past few years. I even have a Deron Williams jersey. It felt awful that Utah fans are suddenly scrutinizing him for Sloan’s retirement. Of course, Jerry Sloan is more respected in Salt Lake City.

My initial reaction to the rumors was to stand pat and give Deron the benefit of a doubt. After all, he said in an interview that he never forced Jerry Sloan out. I think that Deron was somehow a factor to the retirement, but it is not going to infuriate me unless he did force Jerry Sloan. Arguments happen and Williams is entitled to question Sloan.

I am not blaming anyone in the Sloan retirement.
Credit: Sports Illustrated
Pundits may note that it was ironic that a strong man who has the balls like Coach Sloan is would quit on his team. I am going to defend him on this. He has been coaching the Jazz for more than two decades. He survived various player movements through the years. Yes, he did quit. But for whatever reason it was, I respect his decision. Let us say that it was because he has lost his passion for the game. A guy who has balls does not quit. But, a guy who has the bigger balls knows when to quit. It takes bigger pride to shed off your ego and accept the situation. I think that is what Coach Jerry Sloan did. Whatever it was, I fully accepted his retirement. He has done much more than a fan could ask for.

Random Thought #6: What about the Deron Williams trade?

At first, I felt horrible. It was a punch to the gut. From playoff contenders, my team has transformed into a lottery-bound team in less than a month. It was heart wrenching because I watched Deron grow into a leader through the years. Heck, I even traded players to get him in my fantasy keeper team.
Farewell and thanks, Deron | Credit: ESPN
But on hindsight, it seemed to be the logical thing the Utah management can do. Utah has a passionate fanbase and while this trade would be a huge blow to the team’s playoff chances, we should also take into account that a good part of the Jazz community hate Deron Williams for the Jerry Sloan incident. It is not a financially sound decision to have the fans root for someone they do not like. The future was also uncertain even with Deron Williams at the helm because he thrived on Jerry Sloan’s system. The new coaching style was not doing the team any good either. The Jazz management also avoided the drama that the Nuggets endured this year. It is better to start rebuilding now than wait a year and  lose your franchise player through free agency. Avoid what Toronto and Cleveland are enduring right now.

Random Thought #7: What’s next for Utah Jazz fans like me?
I should stop buying player merchandises. They are bad luck.
First things first: I am still a Utah Jazz fan after the departure of Jerry Sloan and Deron Williams. I will always be. However, I have to admit that this is one of the toughest times for Jazz fans since the Malone-Stockton era. It was easy to endure Malone’s departure in 2003 because Utah still had Jerry Sloan. In a matter of years, the Jazz were back in the map when Sloan developed Deron Williams into a premier point guard. The Jazz had a rebuilding year during that span but there was that sense of confidence that they would pull through because Sloan was at the helm. Even if I always get punched in the gut whenever my favorite NBA team fails, at least I was pampered through the years with constant playoff appearances every year.

Last month, Utah Jazz fans received the biggest stomach punch that would have a very long lingering effect as we lost both our legendary coach and franchise player. For the first time, I could sense that Utah is lottery-bound in the next few years. The Jazz do have probably two lottery picks next year and a young core of players but I do not know if they will be back in contention in a wild Western conference. What worsens the situation is the fact that several big market teams are stacking with their triple threats. The future is indeed bleak.

But, you know what? I also see this as a good opportunity to practice what I preach on being a diehard fan. Win or lose, I still take pride for rooting for the Jazz. Yes, there will be more heartbreaks than celebrations but these heartbreaks make you stronger as a fan. With every fall, you can proudly say that “I can handle this. I know that we have a weak team on paper but I do not care. I will endure this no matter what.” And that makes it sweeter.

Random Thought #8: Where does Jerry Sloan belong in the greatest coaches of all-time conversation?
Coach Jerry Sloan will forever be remembered | Credit: Sports Illustrated
Personally, Jerry Sloan is my favorite coach. I appreciated the value of coaching because of him. He is one of the few coaches that could singlehandedly influence a team. When Utah lost both Malone and Stockton, he built a new core on the fly and they were back to the playoffs after one year of hiatus. Because of Sloan, I only experienced only one year of missing the playoffs. Because of him, I watched a very stable franchise for almost two decades. This is something that I cannot say of other teams that I root for. What more can be said to the rest of the NBA teams? In the past few years, teams were firing coaches here and there. Because of Jerry Sloan, I was molded to be loyal to my team. I do not know if I would have understood how valuable it was to root for a team through thick and thin if my favorite team suddenly went to a cellar dweller during my childhood days. I might have jump shipped to another team.

On an objective perspective, I think Jerry Sloan belongs to the Top 5-10 NBA head coaches of all-time. Phil Jackson is #1 while Red Auerbach is #2. Gregg Popovich, Lenny Wilkens, Pat Riley and Larry Brown are probably on the list. Jerry Sloan might not have achieved an NBA championship and a Coach of the Year award but his long tenure and the stability that he brought provide some inspiration about head coaching. In some ways, Jerry developed the culture in Utah. I am aware how boisterous the Utah crowd was ever since the Malone-Stockton days but it would not have retained a sterling reputation if Sloan had not made them yearly contenders.

With this, I am grateful to experience the Jerry Sloan era. I may have been punched in the gut several times whenever Utah gets eliminated in the playoffs, but Coach Jerry Sloan has made me appreciate the value of team play, consistency, discipline and leaving a legacy.

Thanks for everything, Coach Sloan!

No comments:

Post a Comment