Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Dirk and the Mavs: Can’t You See I’ve Waited Long Enough?

Congratulations to the Dallas Mavericks! | Credit: Sports Illustrated
I'm learning to walk again
I believe I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?
I'm learning to talk again
Can't you see I've waited long enough
Where do I begin?
-    Foo Fighters from the song “Walk”

The Championship Window

A decade ago, I watched Karl Malone and John Stockton’s final years in Utah. Michael Jordan just left the league but my Utah Jazz failed to capitalize on it during NBA’s lockout-shortened season. As a young fan, the idea of the window closing has not yet sunk in. Utah’s dynamic duo was exceptional – they played with a high level of basketball despite of their ages. When San Antonio “stole” the crown in 1999 (yes, I was that bitter then), I thought that the Jazz still have a shot the following year. I was young and delusional. I thought that Utah just had a bad start against Portland and they could recover the following year. I never viewed the Lakers as a threat because they always ended up getting swept in the playoffs. Utah swept them a year before after all.

Enter the 2000 NBA Playoffs. Guess what, Portland defeated my team again. By that time, things started to become bleak. The Lakers have become the new dominating force and the idea of urgency began to creep. A year ago, Utah was in the top of the conversation when it comes to championship contenders. By the end of 2000, they were easily replaced by the LA Lakers, Indiana Pacers and San Antonio Spurs.

From 1994 to that time, I was always high on Malone’s Jazz. They play consistently and they have a smart coach. They were always contenders. However, they did not get new help as the years passed. The players that I once laughed at – Michael Finley, specifically, because of his terrible showing in a Slam Dunk competition in the 1990’s – have began to be legitimate threats. Utah was still a playoff team but I thought that 2001 was the last year they virtually had a shot.

They faced a young Mavericks team in the first round of that year. I was too preoccupied on several things (like preparing for my college entrance exams) during that time that I did not bother to care for the first round bout. After all, a first round exit was a long and distant memory for me (to be specific, the 1995 NBA Playoffs). The Jazz went up 2-0 and seemed to be headed to the second round. All I thought was, “Dallas, who?”


Credit: Sports Illustrated
A few days later, I read the daily paper. There was a column about the Game 5 of the Utah-Dallas series. The author gave an opening commentary that it is a good thing to just be a neutral spectator of an amazing playoff series, especially if a young team suddenly climbs back and wins it over. Gulp! Dallas eliminated the Utah Jazz for good. I did not finish reading the write-up. It left a sour taste on me. I had to stare at the newspaper for some minutes because I just realized that the team I rooted for all the years will not be winning a championship.

It was unfair. I was a passionate, irrational fan way back then. I thought that some day, Utah will end up having their turn. We had to wait for Hakeem’s Houston Rockets to implode. By the time the Jazz overcame them, Jordan’s Bulls had to spoil the party. When we got the homecourt advantage and the valuable experience in the 1998 Finals, I thought it was our turn. Utah won Game 1 and it seemed to be heading that way. Quinito Henson was showering the Jazz with a lot of praises in pre-game talks because he was confident that the Bulls would lose. However, MJ showed that his team was still the best in the land as they claimed the next three games. I could remember my young self in tears and frustration seeing Chicago take the 3-1 lead of that series. I knew that Utah will lose again that year.

It’s unfair. It was supposed to be our turn! Can’t you see I’ve waited long enough?

Then, Jordan’s dynasty ended only for a new brood to take over. It was painful to be a Jazz fan. To end things, this young Mavericks team shattered all our remaining dreams.

Any time a young squad defeats your experienced team to close their championship window, it is tough. It sickened me that a tall shooter (and previously unknown) named Dirk Nowitzki would be the one to break the hearts of the Jazz fans.  No matter how Steve Nash mentioned that he idolized John Stockton, I could not help but get bitter then. It was easy how my rooting allegiances the past few years went – any team but the Dallas Mavericks.

Dallas and Its Journey
Dallas fans, you deserved it | Credit: SI
Malone and Stockton’s Jazz eventually called it quits. The Lakers and Spurs took the center stage in the following years while Dallas was a playoff fixture like my Jazz once was. Steve Nash went to Phoenix and defeated Dirk’s squad on what was one of defining moments then – Nash showed that he was a true leader while Dirk blamed his teammates at the onset of defeat. With Dallas losing year after year, I may have disliked them but I found some pity due to their vulnerability.

Dallas was a powerhouse in the 2006 NBA Playoffs and they found themselves pitted against the defending champions, the San Antonio Spurs. Pundits called it as the championship series of the year (with me leaving a big “eww” reaction afterwards). But because I hated Duncan’s Spurs so much, I ended rooting for Dallas for the first time.

I was ecstatic when the Mavs got the 3-1 lead of that series. I felt somehow relieved because at least there was a high chance we won’t be seeing the boring Spurs hold the NBA trophy. Then, San Antonio did what they do best in the following games: be San Antonio and crush the hearts of their haters. They forced a Game 7. I grew up watching teams win after being down 1-3 (Houston in 1995 and Miami in 1997) so the cautious fan in me prepared for the worst. When I watched Game 7 that year, I found myself in one of the most peculiar and unimaginable things I have ever done as a fan – root hard for a team that I once disliked. The feeling was strange – cheering for Dirk whenever he makes a shot. All of these just to see a better ending in the NBA Finals. That was how I hated the Spurs. I had to carry up all my passion as a basketball fan and release it in that game because I loved seeing the Spurs fall. And fall they did. I celebrated just like how Cleveland partied when LeBron’s Miami lost.

For that one series, I ended up rooting for Dallas. I went back rooting against them in the next series, but I have to admit that rooting for them was fun and memorable (of course, they defeated San Antonio).

We all know what happened after that: Dallas went to the NBA Finals and lost to Miami despite having the 2-0 lead at the start. Dirk won the MVP the following year but getting the award was one of the most embarrassing moments because his first-seeded team was upset in the first round of the playoffs. Dirk was branded as a choker who did not know how to successfully lead his team. Dallas returned to being Dallas (a playoff fixture but never the strongest threat) in the years that ensued. With the emergence of LA, Boston, Cleveland and Orlando in the recent years, Dallas was an afterthought. They were heading the way the Utah Jazz teams in the 1990’s went – watch their championship window close while other teams replace them in the conversation of championship contenders.

After 2006, I did not view Dallas with the same hatred I once had for them. They were a vulnerable team so it was easy to sympathize with them. Each year, I saw Dallas as a playoff jobber no matter how good their regular season record was. Heck, they were eliminated by the seventh-seeded San Antonio Spurs in the first round last year.

Just like my Utah Jazz a decade ago, Dirk’s Dallas was getting older. Their championship window appeared to have closed when they lost in the first round last year. The young brood was ready to take over – Miami Heat, Chicago Bulls, Oklahoma City Thunder, Utah Jazz (before the start of the season). LA Lakers and Boston Celtics were still great and both boast of a stronger core in paper.

The Summer of LeBron
Credit: Sports Illustrated
LeBron James shook the world with his infamous decision to collude with one of the current best players. It shook the foundation of NBA because it created a mega team. It psychologized players to take the same route LeBron did, which was to take the easy way out. We had Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony talk about teaming up in NY. Old basketball stars considered joining Miami in the process. But before this was waiting to unveil, I thought one old basketball star would join the trend – Dirk Nowitzki.

The Miami Superfriends took a lot of flak from the media because they wasted their potential while they are at the peak of their primes. Instead of wanting to beat each other, James and Wade teamed up. Doing the same thing that Miami’s Big Three did was more tolerable if you are an aging star player. After all, your window is closing and you are a shell of your former self. More often than not, you will not have the propensity to outshine your rival best player. Your talents are deteriorating and the only thing left to do is to put the icing on your career with a championship. Aging stars fit well in the pecking order by being exceptional role players. I thought Dirk would consider that. However, I was surprised when he opted to join Dallas as soon as possible.

While the rest of the league was in frenzy joining super teams for the easy championship ring, Dirk stayed to rot with Dallas. I believe he felt that his championship window was closing then. It was even startling that the Mavs did not get high profile free agents to somehow help out. He was content finishing in the town that loved him the rest of his career. And, I applaud him for that – the same way I am happy for Chipper Jones proudly staying in Atlanta up to the end.

But still, this loyalty thing was overshadowed by the controversial decision of LeBron James.

Redemption
Credit: Sports Illustrated
This was a wildly entertaining season. There were several impressive storylines in the NBA playoffs as the budding young stars are suddenly realizing their talent. It was as unpredictable as it could be with Orlando bowing out early on. Memphis upset the first-seeded Spurs to my satisfaction. LeBron has finally defeated his personal demons by beating the Celtics. Going into the Finals, people could not call him “LeChoke” anymore because of his brilliant crunch time performance in the Eastern Conference playoffs. The Lakers unexpectedly succumbed to a Dallas team that featured Dirk as their only All-Star. As a neutral spectator (with some rooting interest to spice my viewing), seeing these unfold was a good consolation to this disastrous season for my Utah Jazz.

The NBA Finals began with two amazing storylines. Miami Heat possessed the “Me Against The World” mentality. The bull’s eye at their backs was very apparent the whole season. LeBron was proving his doubters wrong with his brilliant playoff performances. For the record, I never doubted his basketball game prior to the Finals. I was a LeBron fan after all. I knew that he was clutch several times (i.e., the Detroit Game, The One Second Shot, the Game Winner against Washington). I knew that he possessed one of the best and admirable basketball IQ’s because of his ability to play unselfish basketball and to turn on the Eff You Mode when needed. He only became frustrating as a basketball player when he checked out of the Boston series last year. But all in all, LeBron’s undesirable quality was more off-court where he took the easy way out by colluding with Wade and Bosh. The fact that he did not handle it appropriately made matters worse.

Dallas, on the other hand, started low key this season because nobody expected them to succeed. This was because they held near to status quo amidst the sea of super teams. They were like an assembly of ex-All-Stars with has-beens like Jason Kidd, Peja Stojakovic and Shawn Marion. However, they were able to come though in this year’s playoffs because they played superb team basketball. Their role players delivered when it mattered the most (like Peja shooting the lights out against the Lakers). Their core was more of a result of smart trades from past seasons (like Kidd and Marion’s trades). They just blended more as a team this time around. With the proper additions (Chandler and Stojakovic), the Mavericks were able to deliver at the right time. From an afterthought, they suddenly became a legitimate team to take the title.

When the series started, I decided not to take sides. Miami maybe a super villain but Dallas will still be known as the team that killed all hopes of Malone’s Jazz. In some ways, I did not want Malone and Stockton left as the ‘best players not to win the title’ the same way I greedily wished Garnett, Pierce and Allen to stay title-less last 2008. But as the series went by, conscience started to hit me (finally) and I realized that I should root for Dirk and the Mavs. Why?

1)    They were up against the Miami Heat. I may still hate the Spurs more, but it leaves a sour taste if Miami won the NBA Finals this year. They just formed their Superfriends cast less than a year ago! Them winning the title this early is a smack to all the people who loathed them because the Heat tried to cheat the process.
2)    In line with Reason # 1, Dallas endured the process. They symbolized what every winning team was in the past: you form a team with an alpha dog, sidekicks and role players. There is a pecking order and each player knows and understands his role to function properly. They endured years to mesh well and play as a team. Miami had team chemistry but they tried to cheat the process by winning it with three elite players instead of a group of eight to ten guys playing as a team.
3)    No matter how I disliked him through the years, Dirk deserved to win this one. His clutch plays showed he has the heart. The way his role player teammates contributed in the 2011 playoffs speaks volumes of how he vastly improved as a leader. Most importantly, he stayed loyal to his team while the other stars colluded and made super teams of their own. Rooting for Dallas was like cheering for hard work and patience as opposed to rooting for a collection of talents.
4)    I dislike the fair-weathered fans of Miami. If you were a Miami fan last year before the Big Three was formed or if you were a LeBron fan who had to follow him in Miami, I understand and respect you – at least, you stuck with your team/idol through some hardship. But if you jumped the bandwagon after the trio ganged up in one the biggest douche moves in sporting history, I am rooting against you. Seeing fair-weathered Miami fans celebrate after winning the title this year is a huge slap to championship-less fans like me who rooted for teams through thick and thin. That goes for the Utahs, Clevelands, Minnesotas and (‘80s and up) Portlands of this world. I have already accepted the fact that Miami might win one in the future, but not this early. Not this time.
5)    I am not going to gain anything (after all, my favorite team is still a lottery team), but the sheer pleasure of seeing the Heat lose. Dammit! It is fun to root for or against a team!
Credit: SI
Thus, it was fun to see Dallas thrive in the Finals this year. This was their time. Miami may have had the upper hand for the most part of the early games but Dallas showed sufficient resiliency. The way Kidd, Terry, Marion, Barea and Chandler delivered when it mattered exhibited that they wanted it more. It should also be noted that the Mavericks’ fortitude was a good reason why Miami seemingly checked out in the final minutes of Game 6.

Yup, they checked out with The King. LeBron, you did it again. I do not know why your team turns into a group of headless chickens on the most crucial moment of the season. For all the praises LeBron got in his life, it is just fair to call him “LeChoke” this time. He was passive and deferring when his team needed him to turn on the Eff You Mode. LeBron has been a great leader in regular games (and some notable playoff games) but he has yet to show he is worthy on the biggest stage. If what LeBron did in Game 6 was not choking, I do not know what choking is.

This is the reason why you do not team up with your biggest rival. Both of you should not be complacently deferring to each other; both of you should be striving to have iconic performances to upend each other.

Doubts surround LeBron. The same (or worse) doubts that Dirk once had. He may eventually get his redemption (just like A-Rod in 2009) but he has to work for it the same way Dirk did – the same way I learned to respect a past foe to a point of rooting for him to win it all.

I do not know if I will be rooting for LeBron by the time he wins his first ring, but all I wish for him is to understand the value of the journey to achieve success the same way Dirk did. There are no shortcuts. This is so that by the time LeBron ascends, haters would somehow come to a bit of respect and acceptance.

But as for now, the limelight is all Dirk’s…

Dirk deserved it. As a die-hard Jazz fan, I have forgiven him for shattering all of the remaining hopes of the 2001 Jazz team. He was just doing what he does best. He was playing with heart. He stuck through it even if his championship window was about to close. He waited long enough for this shining moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment