Monday, December 12, 2011

No Music No Life 2011

December is the time of the year when we celebrate the year’s bests. It is like the performance review of the year’s top stories. As for me, I usually kick off the month by discussing my favorite songs in each month of the year. This year, my annual tradition continues.

I have to admit that 2011 is one of the weakest years (at least in my perspective) in music history. Rock music is as weak as ever while you have Super Bass or any Katy Perry song in the airwaves (I know… Katy is one of my guilty pleasure recording artists but it does not mean that she is exceptionally artistic). Throughout the year, I have around 1-3 months where I do not even have a favorite song. Heck, I would rather listen to a podcast than listen to songs. Yes, even if I have listened to that podcast previously.

Nevertheless, I am still going to discuss the notable songs of this year in a different manner as compared to previous years. There are still gems to be found.

More after the jump.

Anthem of the Year: Foo Fighters – Walk

Thank God for the Foo Fighters. They are the awesome rock band of the year. “Walk” has got to be the year’s inspirational anthem. And for me, the song quite sums up the top stories (at least in sports and in my personal life). I am saving the explanation and relevance of this song about sports in another writeup, but if you followed me in June, you will notice that this song fitted the Dallas Mavericks’ ascension to the top. Why? Because of its awesome lyrics:

“Learning to walk again... I believe I have waited long enough. Where do I begin? Learning to talk again... Can’t you see I have waited long enough? Where do I begin?”

Sentimental Favorites:
Explosions in the Sky – Your Hand in Mine (Goodbye)
W.G. Snuffy Walden – Friday Night Lights Theme Song


These songs are to commemorate the best sports movie and TV series of all-time. Both are entitled “Friday Night Lights.” This was because FNL ended its glorious run early this year. I only began watching the TV series last year but the experience felt like I have watched it for years. This was because the show grows with its audience. Furthermore, it would not be possible if note for the uplifting theme song at the start of every show.

The Annual “American Idol” Favorite Renditions that have been overplayed in my playlist last April and May:
Haley Reinhart – Rolling in the Deep
Lauren Alaina – Candle in the Wind
Haley Reinhart – Bennie and the Jets


Haley Reinhart pretty much has a radio-friendly voice. I can even make a good supporting statement that she can be the best radio-friendly voice in “American Idol.” This is primarily because of her unique voice. She does not overkill high notes as well (she’s not a diva) so it is less tiring to listen to her repeatedly. Lastly, I like her artistic style. Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” may be technically better but you can appreciate Haley’s rendition because of the way she sang it (yes, even if she has a similar style as Adele).

The real surprise in this list was Lauren Alaina. Yes – Lauren Freakin’ Alaina. The same contestant I did not want to win “American Idol” because she was underachieving. Her “Candle in the Wind” version was just golden. She was able to put a country twist on it that is just pleasing to the ears. The song sounded ‘country homely’ to me especially when she sang the first “knew you at all…” The liberties that she took fitted the song aptly.

TV Show Song that Pumped Me Up A Lot: The Dandy Warhols – We Used to be Friends

Technically, this was a 2010 song (December). But because my ‘No Music No Life’ column starts from December of the previous year, I need to put this song in this writeup. I know that this is a relatively old song and it was played in a relatively old show. However, it was just last year when I began (and finished) watching “Veronica Mars” and “The O.C.” Both shows played this Dandy Warhols song and in both cases, I felt pumped up after listening to it (either that or Kristen Bell/Rachel Bilson was just eye candy enough).

Other Awesome Rock Songs This Year:
Paramore – Monster
Neon Trees – 1983


Both bands were tackled in previous years and they continued to have good singles this year (d’uh! I am a huge Paramore fan).

Dance Song of the Year: Maroon 5 – Moves Like Jagger


I have this song as one of my top three songs this year. It is probably this year’s coolest song because you’ll really want to dance with the tune of this song. The bass thumps quite well as Adam Levine sings. And of course, Christina Aguilera’s booming voice adds a lot in putting this song to another level.

Guilty Pleasure Song: Lady Gaga – The Edge of Glory

Lady Gaga did it again. This time it was because it was disguised as a sports song. Yes, like it or not, “The Edge of Glory” actually qualifies as a sports song. It was used by sports teams in America. Heck, when Green Bay’s montage in the Kick-Off game was shown, it was the song that was played. And yes, Lady Gaga’s voice has that unique quality. Ohbytheway, I was talking about the song – not the music video. I have not seen the whole music video yet (which many said was extremely awkward).

Song of the Year: Adele – Rolling in the Deep

Because Adele is so good and she pretty much owned this year (music – artistically-wise).

NFL Week 14 Picks:


PITTSBURGH STEELERS over Cleveland Browns (W)

Atlanta Falcons over CAROLINA PANTHERS. It is tough to trust the Falcons this year (especially with last week’s debacle) but  Carolina is not in the same level as Atlanta.

CINCINNATI BENGALS over Houston Texans. This is the toughest game to pick this week. I am going for the upset pick because 1) the Bengals are at home and 2) they’re bound to win one from this tough schedule, right? 3) Not all favored teams win.

DETROIT LIONS over Minnesota Vikings. Minny did not win at home, why would you think they will win now with hobbled Adrian Peterson and Christian Ponder?

New Orleans Saints over TENNESSEE TITANS. Because the Saints are an elite team?

BALTIMORE RAVENS over Indianapolis Colts. I won’t be picking the Colts unless they win a game.

NEW YORK JETS over Kansas City Chiefs. KC away from Arrowhead is bad. KC against a Jets team that badly needs to win is even worse.

MIAMI DOLPHINS over Philadelphia Eagles. I initially loved picking the Dolphins here because of there recent resurgence. It was even validated when the Fantasy Focus guys picked them. Then, I realized that Philly had the extra rest. Now, I am suddenly having a bad taste on this pick.

New England Patriots over WASHINGTON REDSKINS. Every Patriots pick from me should never be questioned. You know I am picking them.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers over JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS. Tampa Bay is still a good team. Or a good mediocre team. Whatever. They are better than the Jags.

DENVER BRONCOS over Chicago Bears. Teeeeeeeeebow!!!

San Francisco 49ers over ARIZONA CARDINALS. Duh?

SAN DIEGO CHARGERS over Buffalo Bills. I do not fully trust Philip Rivers sudden emergence, but I do not trust Buffalo to stop its ship from sinking.

GREEN BAY PACKERS over Oakland Raiders. Let’s go for the 14-0. Go Pack Go!

DALLAS COWBOYS over New York Giants. I know this is another tough matchup but I am going to trust the home boys

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS over St. Louis Rams. Rams suck. Period.

Last Week: 13-3 (Best record of the year!)
This Week: 1-0
Season Record: 126-66
Percentile: 90.2% (Highest of the year!)

No comments:

Post a Comment