Friday, December 28, 2012

No Music, No Life Vol 6: I Escaped the Mayan Apocalypse!


Did Foo Fighters have a great year? | Credit: Time Entertainment
Since I began blogging in 2005, I have been writing about my notable songs of the past year. Some of these songs are actually old ones (meaning, they weren’t released during the year I blogged about them) but because my Multiply blog (RIP Multiply Blog) was geared for personal stuff, I did not care how the general public would feel upon reading my Song of the Month. I have lost interest in remembering which song I have abused in my iPod in recent years so I just wrote about the remarkable songs. This year would be the same. However I will be blending the past with the present, because I have to admit that I have written in a more personal level this year as compared to the past four years.

As always, this music writeup has its own calendar year (starts the December of the previous year and ends the November of the current year). I am keeping that tradition even if December is pretty much done and I already know about this month’s Song of the Month.

First Quarter (December 2011 to February 2012)

Foo Fighters – Arlandria

 

“My sweet Virginia… I’m the same as I was in your arms”

This was my December 2011 Song of the Month. I have to admit that it was a bit late because ‘Wasting Light’ was released early that year. But with most songs, it takes time for it to resonate and gain my attention. This mind blowing single was my favorite ‘psych up’ song while jogging the windy streets of our village in Antipolo. No actual lyrical resemblance for me during that time (as all I wanted was a song that pumps me up). But in retrospect, it has its meaning now. I was starting to miss everybody in the Philippines last December because I was about to be assigned to the United States for quite some time. But as I left and as I lived my life in Atlanta, I started to realize that I am still the same old guy in the Philippines. I continued to appreciate how awesome my family, teammates and friends in the Philippines are.

Foo Fighters – A Matter of Time

No lyrical resonance that’s why there is no actual quote. I just loved the melody and the way Dave Grohl sings this song.

Foo Fighters – These Days

“Easy for you to say.
Your heart has never been broken.
Your pride has never been stolen.
Not yet, not yet.”

It has been a Foo Fighters start of the year for me. This one was very memorable because Atlanta’s rock station was usually playing this song. It has been quite a while since NU 107 stopped airing so it was very refreshing for me to have a rock station to listen to. I have played this song for months because I love how beautiful the song is. Its lyrics might be interpreted as hatred for something, but I did not view it that way. After all, there was no particular person I am referring this song to. Grohl’s delivery is superb in this song (especially on the soft parts). His emotions are raw whenever he sings these lines. I feel for it. In my life, I have experienced my heart broken a lot of times and my pride being stolen as well. And when these things happen to your life, whatever advice people give you does not seem that easy once you are bleeding and feeling the pain for it.

In case you are wondering, “Wasting Light” is my album of the year.

Lenka – The Show


“I'm just a little bit caught in the middle
Life is a maze and love is a riddle
I don't know where to go,
can't do it alone I've tried and I don't know why”

“I know I've got to let it go and just enjoy the show
Just enjoy the show, just enjoy the show
I want my money back, I want my money back
I want my money back, just enjoy the show.”

This song merits two parts of the lyrics. Actually, I could put the whole part of the song and I would totally relate to it (except for the “little girl” part since I am a dude). If you followed my blog last January, you will realize how huge this song meant to me as I cope with my first month of being independent in a different country. Thanks to “Moneyball,” I have appreciated this song a lot. I can totally relate at the parts when Billy Beane’s (Brad Pitt) kid was singing to him “You’re such a loser, Dad. Just enjoy the show.” I really felt the kid singing “You’re such a loser, Jeff. Just enjoy the show.”

Translation: Stop worrying. Enjoy life.

And yes, I did enjoy life this year. There were setbacks and heartbreaks, but the key is to enjoy life to the fullest. Especially that I am at the peak of my life (where I am not too old to have health concerns – well I do have health problems, but I can still handle a lot of physical stuff). Best song at the best time.

OneRepublic – Good Life


“I say, "Oh, got this feeling that you can't fight"
Like this city is on fire tonight
This could really be a good life, a good, good life”

I am not a huge OneRepublic fan so I actually do not follow them. However, I got to listen to this song at the time when I also listened to “The Show.” Just like it, “Good Life” inspired me to enjoy the good life that I am having. And if you are wondering why I used Tower Records’ tagline “No Music, No Life” in this annual writeup, well, these two songs could represent the reason behind it. These have influenced me a lot in life this year.

No music, no life.

Second Quarter: (March 2012 to May 2012)

fun. – We Are Young

 

“Tonight
We are young
So let’s set the world on fire
We can burn brighter than the sun”

It’s a fun song! (No pun intended.) The song’s lyrics are not actually near to the two previous songs but it had a similar effect on the YOLO attitude this song brings. It also helps that the song is well sung and it resonated well to the American audience then. It seemed a staple to hear this on stadiums this year.

Gotye feat. Kimbra – Somebody That I Used To Know


“But you didn't have to cut me off
Make it like it never happened and that we were nothing
I don't even need your love, but you treat me like a stranger
And that feels so rough”

The breakup song of the year goes to… Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used To Know.” It’s not even close. This beautifully written song bites the heart and is something I could relate to (you know, with most of the women I fell for then. There’s no such thing as friendship after everything fully goes down south.)

Yes, it always feels rough if someone you fell for just treats you like you never existed. I was not feeling like that last March but I already know the feeling so yes, it strikes deep.

Rihanna feat. Calvin Harris – We Found Love


“We found love in a hopeless place.”

Aside from the jokes that I’ve thrown for a hundred times on Rihanna finding love in a hopeless place with Chris Brown again, this was one of my ultimate LSS songs of the year. Some years ago, I would have never considered listening to a Rihanna song but I have to admit that there is something unique in her voice that makes you want to listen to it.

Snow Patrol – Chocolate


“What have I done it's too late for that
What have I become truth is nothing yet
A simple mistake starts the hardest time
I promise I'll do anything you ask...this time”

Call it the Snow Patrol concert hangover. I actually did not understand any of the lyrics of the song then. I just listened to it.

Neil Diamond – Sweet Caroline


“Sweet Caroline
Good times never seemed so good.
I’ve been inclined
To believe they never would
But now I”

My theme song for my Boston trip. Yes, I liked this song for the Red Sox (die hard Red Sox fans hate it but whatever). This song pretty much reflects the Red Sox experience. If you do not know, Red Sox fans used to be the lovable losers in Massachussetts. They root hard for their team year in and year out but they always failed when it counts the most (playoffs). They were always expecting for the other shoe to drop at some time in the season. When 2004 came, the fanbase could not believe what it witnessed. Down 0-3 against their powerhouse archrivals – the New York Yankees – the Boston Red Sox pulled off the most romantic ending a sports team could have. They made the extremely improbable 4-game win streak to upend their rivals, and they won the World Series eventually.

Best fairy tale-type of ending ever.

I am a Red Sox fan and my life actually has played like that for quite some time. There is always good stuff happening every now and then but there has always been that ‘other shoe’ effect appearing to disrupt whatever good is happening. Maybe, I am a pessimist. Maybe, not. I am still hoping for my 2004 type of ending.

Maroon 5 – Payphone


“I'm at a payphone trying to call home
All of my change I spent on you
Where have the times gone?
Baby it's all wrong
Where are the plans we made for two?

If happy ever after did exist
I would still be holding you like this
And all those fairytales are full of shit
One more fuckin' love song I'll be sick”

Maroon 5 always excels on catchy songs. This one is a superb example. I do not want to fully expound how this song strikes me because it is too obvious on the excerpt I posted. Just like Cousin Sal’s Fake Bill Simmons said in one of the BS Reports, Maroon 5 is the greatest poet of the modern age.

Third Quarter (June 2012 to August 2012)

Katy Perry – Wide Awake

 

“I'm wide awake
How did I read the stars so wrong?
I'm wide awake
And now it's clear to me
That everything you see
Ain't always what it seems”

Son of a bitch… a Katy Perry song??! Seriously, Jeff. A Katy Perry song??! Yes. A Katy Perry song. I have to admit I liked this song then (around June 2012 and I can still listen to it up to the present time). This is guilty pleasure but this song is actually relatable if you listen to its lyrics. It’s not the best written work but it delivers the haymaker to your heart. Yes, it is a sad song just like most of the songs I listened then. Sometimes, the saddest lines invoke the most genuine emotions.

Did I just say that about a Katy Perry song? What the hell. Let’s just move on.

Kelly Clarkson - What Doesn't Kill You (Makes You Stronger)


“What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
Stand a little taller
Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone”

My 2007 self would be wondering what the hell happened to my taste. But, my 2012 self can defend this one. I think Kelly Clarkson has been underrated this year. We have been talking about Adele most of the time for the divas but it was actually Kelly who brought the knockout punch this year. This powerful song is actually good. And Kelly’s raspy voice seemed to mature that well in it. I am not a Kelly fan prior to this year but I know how to appreciate good music. I give her due in this.

To the singles in this world, well, enjoy this song. Cheers.

Kelly Clarkson – Dark Side

“Everybody's got a dark side
Do you love me?
Can you love mine?
Nobody's a picture perfect
But we're worth it
You know that we're worth it”

That makes it back to back Kelly Clarkson songs. However, I have to admit that this one is also a good one. Just read the lyrics I posted. I know I have listened to stronger and more artistic lyrics before, but, well, we are in year 2012 and I am lazy in researching for other material. Either way, Kelly Clarkson belts this song to express emotions well. She’s got a dark side (well, she’s less fat now… another major improvement this year). I got a dark side. You got a dark side. It’s about accepting each other’s weaknesses. Compromise is the key.

Flo Rida feat. Sia - Wild Ones


LSS from listening this song blaring in Turner Field. Yes, my 2007 self would be screaming ‘mainsteam’ at me now.

Guilty Pleasure Overplayed Youtube Video Which Shouldn’t Have Been Overplayed At All: Miami Dolphins Cheerleaders’ “Call Me Maybe”

Hey, I don’t have a girlfriend and I got bored living in my apartment in Atlanta. What do you want me to do? Watch home promotional videos the whole day?

Neon Trees – Everybody Talks


“Hey baby what you got to say,
All you're giving me is fiction
I'm a sorry sucker and this happens all the time
I find out that
Everybody talks”

Hey, I need to have the obligatory Neon Trees song every year, right?

Fourth Quarter (September 2012 to November 2012)

B.o.B feat Taylor Swift - Both of Us



“Do it one time for the underdogs.”

My 2007 self must have officially loathed my 2012 self. Whatevs. This song was catchy. I do not know of any new material in radio. I have a secret liking on Taylor Swift’s voice and I already have three B.o.B songs in my iPod. It was not far-fetched.

David Guetta feat. Sia – Titanium

Blame it on the UAAP commercials. This song got stuck in my head and I actually liked it a lot. Great song even if I did not bother to understand the lyrics then.

Band of the Year: Foo Fighters. Yes, this is so 2011 because their album was released last year but I don’t care.

Album of the Year: Wasting Light. Ditto. Even if I have already discussed this last year.

Songs of the Year: Lenka’s “The Show” and OneRepublic’s “Good Life” because of how it resonated with my experience. It was actually a close call from Foo Fighters’ “These Days.” Good job, Jeff. Your songs of the year were not released this year.

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment