Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Handing Out the Letter Grades: Mad Men and the Fall TV Season Premiere of 2010

"First rule of politics, kiddo: never let the truth get away of a good story." - Nucky of "Boardwalk Empire"

As promised, here is my review of the Fall TV* season premiere episodes from last week. I know this is quite late but it’s just now that I got to finish everything. I have a hectic schedule lately so this will be a relatively short blog entry. Just like in this year’s May Sweeps, I gave letter grades for the episodes of the TV shows. I am going to impose a grading curve with the best episode getting the A (D’uh!). For this week, we have a steep curve.



* - I want to refer to the U.S. shows as Fall TV (as they are supposed to be) even if I reside in the Philippines. I know we don’t have fall but what would I call these shows? They are from U.S. so I guess it’s just appropriate to call them Fall TV shows regardless of my location.

 
How I Met Your Mother
Season Premiere Grade: C
I am not going to mark out for “HIMYM” this time. I may have over-appreciated this legend-wait for it-dary show through a lot of times by naming it my TV Show of the Decade and the TV series that has the second best season ever (which would most likely be toppled by “Mad Men” Season 4), but I am still impartial when analyzing shows for most of the time. I would have to note that “HIMYM” is one of my favorites because I am its target audience.

HIMYM’s season premiere left me unsatisfied. I may have watched it twice but it did not have the same oomph as its previous classics. They casted it on a bar for most of the time, but it left me uninterested. It is ironic because MacLaren’s is one of the venues I could relate to in the show. It was just a huge letdown that they built up the whole episode for another tease of the Mother. I am one of those who are patient to wait for the Mother (because I think that the show might not be as good as it was once we know of Ted’s Future Wife), but teasing us about her is starting to get old.

Nevertheless, it was not a terrible episode. It is still good with the great Barney punchlines like when he commented that Robin might have had a breakup with her hygiene instead of Don. Marshall also unleashed a flurry of “package” jokes. And of course, the lesbian kiss by Rachel Bilson and Kaylee Defer was awe – wait for it – some in ‘Bro Code’ standards. The good thing about “HIMYM” is that I will never give up watching this show. It has already reached the “No matter how bad it becomes at times, I will just enjoy the ride” Level. There are only two other shows that are on that level for me: “Lost” and “Mad Men.”

Hawaii Five-O
Season Premiere Grade: C+
To be honest, I had no idea what this show was about when I downloaded it. All I knew was that Scott Caan is in this series. He had remarkable moments in “Entourage” so I gave it a shot. “Hawaii Five-O” is not the type of show that I usually watch. I am not a huge action flick guy because 1) my eyes get tired from all the action sequences which would ironically make me sleepy, and 2) action flicks’ stories are not that compelling. I know a lot would disagree but that’s just me. “Hawaii Five-O” actually falls on both categories. However, I liked the pilot. It had a smooth flow and it had funny Scott Caan moments. Shown below is an excerpt:

“When did you come to the conclusion that I was sensitive, huh?! Was it when a bullet was staring to my flesh? Was that when I seem sensitive to you? Huh?!”

“…The point is, Rule #1, if you get somebody shot, you APOLOGIZE!”

I am just not sure if I will watch the next episodes, but I may try to watch a couple more and see if it is worth it. So far, it passed the pilot episode test.

 
Glee
Season Premiere Grade: C+
I never visualized a “Glee” episode trumping a “HIMYM” episode, but I just witnessed it last week. Aside from the New Directions’ total butchering of “Empire State of Mind,” the episode was surprisingly better. It is not better than “Glee” was on the first half of Season 1, but it was decent enough for me. The new kid (not Charice) has a great voice as he redeemed the “Empire State of Mind” rendition by singing “Billionaire.” I also liked the Sawyer-esque lines by Puck when he called the new kid “Big Mouth.” Charice sung superbly but I did not like her acting in the bathroom scene. But hey, this is “Glee.” The only great actor that they have is Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester).

As a season premiere, this episode was good enough. It is supposed to be the table setter episode, right?

 
The Office
Season Premiere Grade: B
Michael Scott and the gang are back and they started with a blast. Great table setter episode? Check! We know of the new changes that could influence the employees of Dunder Mifflin-Sabre (i.e., Dwight owning the office; Erin and Gabe’s new relationship; Michael Scott undergoing sessions of counseling with Toby). The episode also had funny punchlines…from Michael’s “(I) saw ‘Inception’ or at least I dreamt I did” to the way he supports nepotism. The “Don’t Bother Luke” drawing was also priceless.

The Event
Season Premiere Grade: INC
After several hesitations, I eventually downloaded the most-hyped new show of 2010. After all, NBC marketed it well. I was curious what “The Event” is. When I watched it, I did not have a clue for most of the part. It was like they continued the intrigue in the advertisement in the first part of the show. They featured several vantage points and flashbacks that it became a huge pain to my already tired mind. I liked the movie “Vantage Point” but it was because it was executed very well. “The Event” showed a change of time and setting once in every two minutes. The concept is good but the execution is tiring. With all the ambiguity and the tiring sequences, my mind finally gave up halfway as I doze off. This is why I am not giving a grade for this show. I also doubt that I will watch it again.

Grey’s Anatomy
Season Premiere Grade: B
I missed putting this when I first wrote this piece. However, I won’t be saying that much about “Grey’s Anatomy” season premiere. It was solid as it was – like most of the premieres – a great table setter episode. They were able to milk some of last season’s finale moments and it was a good way to build a story on. I also liked the fact that they shortened the Cristina-Hunt marriage build-up. It does not need any because we have already gone the pre-marriage route with Cristina some seasons ago.

Modern Family

Season Premiere Grade: B+
Last year’s best new show returns with a blast. This episode was solid because they incorporated huge family moments. Mitchell and Cameron built their daughter’s castle. Cameron’s line “If an accident happens, I hope he kills me. Because, I don’t think I will be an inspiring disabled person.” The old bandwagon invoked sentimental and nostalgic feelings for the Dunphys. It’s like watching a McDonald’s commercial where a family cherishes a moment together in a likely sentimental venue. That’s “Modern Family” magic, I guess.

I am just wondering how many people tried putting salt on chocolate milk after watching this episode. I can still remember combining Mountain Dew with vodka after watching “Mad Men” three weeks ago.

 
Boardwalk Empire
Season Premiere Grade: B+
Ladies and gentlemen! I present to you the best new TV show of 2010. “Boardwalk Empire” debuted with much fanfare and it did not disappoint. After all, they have Martin Scorsese as their director. How many TV shows have that benefit? Furthermore, “Boardwalk Empire” had superb movie quality for a TV series. I know that TV shows (like “Lost”) can appear to look like movies but this episode set the bar higher. How many millions did they spend for the production? They recreated Atlantic City in the 1920’s by displaying the outside structures and the intricate interior of a party house.

Story-wise, “Boardwalk Empire” was good enough. It featured the transformation of a politician to a gangster. It was also interesting to see the way they humanize Nucky – the main character – this early. He maybe a corrupt one but he had redeeming qualities (like his concern for the pregnant woman).

In a comedy scale, “Boardwalk Empire” is a whole lot serious as compared to shows like “Mad Men” which makes me laugh at least twice per episode. However, there was still a hilarious sequence in “Boardwalk Empire.” The sex scene was hilarious. The cowboy reactions between Nucky and Lucy were funny. I laughed out loud when Eddie got scared for Nucky when he heard them screaming. Lucy’s reaction was golden: “Screaming?! We were effing, Eddie! We were effing!” Nucky also had a bunch of witty lines when he was dealing with Lucky Luciano.

My only concern with this episode is that they incorporated plenty characters. Because of this, there were some snooze-inducing moments. But other than this minor flaw, “Boardwalk Empire” was astonishing.

 
Mad Men
Episode 9 Grade: A
I know that “Mad Men” had fewer viewers than “Boardwalk Empire” but viewership does not always equate to which is better. “The Beautiful Girls” was another solid episode this season. The women of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce get tons of exposure. Joan Harris (Christina Hendricks) relives her past relationship with Roger Sterling (John Slattery) at a desperate moment. This season has built up a dramatic storyline on Joan’s struggles and it just piled up after she saw an executive secretary (Ms. Blankenship) die and when she got mugged. Peggy Olson (Elisabeth Moss) persevered douchebag statements by Abe. It was an interesting segment because it featured the crossover from the conformist 1950’s to the culturally shaking 1960’s which featured more political activism.

And of course, we have the show stealer – Sally Draper (Kiernan Shipka). Damn, that kid can act! Watching Sally Draper was both heartwarming (the toasted bread breakfast scene) and heart-wrenching (when Sally said “No, it’s not (OK)” after Megan consoled her). “Mad Men” this season has showcased several acting moments (i.e., Don Draper and Peggy Olson in “The Suitcase”) and it is just astonishing to see a child actress join the season’s pantheon acting moments. I just hope we get to see more of Sally Draper in the next few episodes.

“The Beautiful Girls” shook the ground just like “Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency” a year ago with dark humor as Miss Blankenship unexpectedly died at her desk. I was shell-shocked when I saw this. As compared to the lawnmower incident last year (where I laughed sadistically and even replayed the sequence several times), seeing Ms. Blankenship was a sad spectacle. Yeah, that was in the first few seconds. When they tried to cover and hide her corpse from the clients, I was fighting my instincts to laugh hard. Pete’s actions sold the dark humor in that part. As mentioned in an online forum, Miss Blankenship continues to be funny even if she is dead. Yeah, I will surely miss the hilarious tone of Miss Blankenship but I got to say that “Mad Men” will still have several unintentional comedy parts in the next episodes. That is how good this show has turned out – using subtlety and seriousness, they can make a comedic part stand out without making it forced.

Lastly, a significant part of “Mad Men” will always be about the reflections the theme will bring out. I have read a couple of reviews about this episode so I won’t be stating some of the more apparent reflections (as I never liked copying ideas of others or seemed to do so). I will just take note of my observation: the show featured “rubbing someone the wrong way.” Understanding how women think is more complex than doing the same thing for men. Thus, men usually fall into the trap of rubbing women the wrong way. We saw this in the episode when Roger Sterling was initially insensitive to Joan. Don Draper sent the wrong message to the lady that brought Sally by paying her for the trouble. (Don never understands women anyway.) Abe obviously rubbed Peggy the wrong way with his “we should rally for feminism” remark that was not necessary at all. Dr. Faye Miller (although she’s a woman) rubbed Sally the wrong way by making her feel like a retard (although they brought cringe-worthy comedy). This episode took a huge blow on Faye Miller being a show regular as it was shown that Sally does not like her (especially when she reacted with a hesitant “ohhh…” after Don said that she’ll meet Faye). I’m in Team Faye for all season because she brings sunshine in this show (no pun intended). But if we can sacrifice Faye for more dramatic Sally Draper moments, I am fine with it.

Thus, “Mad Men” is this week’s best episode. It is quite ironic that the show that did not show a premiere is actually the one that featured the best episode. Either way, let us end this blog entry with Bert Cooper’s sad yet remarkable obituary quote for Miss Blankenship:

“She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died in a 37th floor of a skyscraper. She’s an astronaut.”

No comments:

Post a Comment