Wednesday, September 29, 2010

When Sports Become Larger Than Life

“The main inspiration on why I want to be a Blue Eagle is because of the kids,” Jai Reyes said (or something to that effect) in his farewell speech in last year’s Holy Mass (after Game 3 of the Finals). “Because of them, I strive to be a role model.”



Note: This writeup might appear to be a copycat of Ric Olivares’ recent article on being a fanatic, but this has a different point. Besides, I was already thinking of this an hour after I celebrated the Game 1 win last Saturday.

Amidst the euphoria and vindication of last year’s championship, Jai’s message struck me. The Blue Eagles’ main mission in the past years was about winning the UAAP title but his words reminded me of what Ateneo basketball has put a subtle emphasis all these years – whether the team struggled to find a place in the Final Four or whether they are getting beaten badly by the Green Archers. Since 2002, I rode the emotional road Team Ateneo went. We had the glorious years. We had the bitter years where we complained endlessly on how officials favored La Salle and how embarrassing a sight it was to see Ryan Arana getting jiggy in front of a Blue Eagle. Through the good and the bad times, I stuck with the team in the hopes of witnessing the storyline of vindication. I eventually got what I wanted as Ateneo dominated the collegiate basketball scene in the past years.

Do you remember the times when commentators appreciated Ateneo’s “never say die” attitude after the Eagles claw out from the jaws of defeat way back in 2004-05? We may not have won the title then, but the fans were passionately cheering their hearts out. What about “Puso?” That was the theme during the heartbreak years (no pun intended). What mattered was giving it your best even if losing was inevitable. The Blue and White gallery cheered as if they were leading but in fact, we were rallying from a ten-point deficit. Do you remember the times when the Blue Eagles chose not to brawl against their archrivals even if they were already taunting them by having a fake photoshoot? What about my recently mentioned Ryan Arana dance? The Blue Eagle did not retaliate then.  In recent memories, the Blue Eagles shrug off potential fights despite the fact that they were provoked. The current team may appear arrogant at times but they rarely taunt the opposing gallery after an awesome field goal.

These instances made me feel prouder of cheering for the Blue Eagles. After all, sports is just not about winning. How many times was “winning” part of the UAAP season’s theme? It was always about the values.

Way back in college, my Philosophy teacher asked us, “why are the fans so affected in a basketball game? They just watch the game. They do not even shoot the ball. But when their team wins, they rejoice as if they accomplished something. Why bother that much for a stupid game?” If we even think of it on another level, why are athletes paid more than those who provide a positive and concrete contribution to humanity? My answer is, just like how Jai Reyes quipped, sports figures are inspiration to people.

Just think of it this way: Jose Rizal was regarded as our national hero because he influenced the revolution. Did he engage in actual fight? No. But, he played an important role in inspiring a collective number of people. Athletes do the same, albeit in a shallower and subtler level. Sports make us believers. With the proper psyche of believing, we achieve things in life.

I grew up watching sports. Because of this, I learned every sports cliché and lesson there is. From knowing your role in a team to showing class – whether you have been beaten or you have emerged triumphant. On a personal level, I have learned a lot from just watching sports. A few years ago, I can see myself complaining at every fumbled call that goes against Ateneo. Right now, I would just let it slide and understand that the referees are just humans. I admit that I have said some expletives while watching the games before. In the present time, the most I could do is to talk smack. (Sports without talking smack sucks. Unless you do not have a sense of humor, you should be able to understand why it is fun.) I have turned into a more rational but sarcastic (and sometimes a douchebag) fan, but I prefer this than be an overly passionate fan who only sees one side of things.

However, I can fully say that I won’t turn out to be this kind of a sports fan without the Ateneo Blue Eagles. Through their simple acts – whether it be helping a fallen rival stand up, or by accepting the referee’s call – I unnoticeably emulated it in some other ways.

A few years back, a friend jokingly asked me why I wanted to watch a game live even if there was good chance that Ateneo will lose. My answer simply was, I go to the games to cheer and support. Winning is just the icing of the cake. I know that losing hurts but nothing beats the best spectacle that few sporting activities can duplicate – the singing of one’s alma mater hymn at the end of the games. It is the time when you jubilantly sing for your school, and it is when you get to exhibit class by applauding your opponents – win or lose – when they sing their hymn. There is that gratifying feeling of doing something right that sometimes overwhelms the hurt of losing.

Thus, I hope that the FEU faithful – whether they win or lose this Thursday – would still feel glad for what their school achieved. After all, it is not just about winning.

Sports also teaches humility. I should know because I ate the humble pie numerous times during the six-year drought. Thus, I hope that when the Blue Eagles face the Tamaraws this Thursday, the Hail Mary Squad won’t be in their complacent selves (which we saw several times this year). Ateneo should go for the kill (Keyser Soze style like the way they did in Game 1).

Eyes on the prize!

No comments:

Post a Comment