Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Greatest Sports Songs of All-Time

Are you ready?!!

...Sports Songs. Yes, this blog is about sports songs.

October has ended a week ago. Of all the months, I think October is the best month for sports. UAAP’s Finals usually happens in October (except for this year and in 2008). American major sports only occur simultaneously in October (and sometimes November) as the MLB Playoffs take place while the NBA Tip-Off happens in the final week of October. Because of these, I think it would just be apt to have a proper send-off for the best sports month in every year with a write-up on the best sports-related songs.

Best Sports Game Soundtrack

As the NBA 2K11 fever heats up across the globe, I think that it would be a good preliminary point of discussion to ask which video game possesses the best soundtrack. I have played various sports games through the years like the NBA 2K games, NBA Jam, College Slam, Triple Play, Madden and FIFA. The ‘90s versions of these games may have catchy sounds but these never had a compilation of actual songs. The best video game soundtrack should come from the 2000’s. Thus, I think the best has got to be “Madden 2010.”



Here is the list of Madden 2010’s soundtrack:

2Pac - "Can’t C Me"
Airbourne - "Heads Are Gonna Roll"
Alice in Chains -"Them Bones"
B.o.B  - "Created a Monster"
Bang Camaro - "Revolution"
Beastie Boys - "Sabotage"
Black Sabbath - "Paranoid"
Cypress Hill - "Get 'Em Up"
Helmet - "Unsung"
Iron Maiden - "Aces High"
Judas Priest - "Painkiller"
Kid Rock - "I Am the Bullgod"
Killswitch Engage - "Reckoning"
Korn - "Blind"
Mastodon - "Divinations"
Nas featuring Puff Daddy - "Hate Me Now"
Nirvana - "Breed"
Pantera     - "Walk"
Public Enemy - "Shut 'Em Down"
Rage Against the Machine - "Guerrilla Radio"
Set Your Goals - "Gaia Bleeds (Make Way for Man)"
Slipknot - "Duality"
System of a Down - "Sugar"
The Vanity Plan - "Before I Die"
Young Dre The Truth - "Cheah Beah"

Other than the fact that a lot of these songs are classics, this soundtrack is the best (in my opinion) because the songs fit well with the game itself. American Football is all about rugged passion. The sport is very physical and intense that you need to deliver an energetic atmosphere for the fans. Say what you want about the 90s hardcore music, but these testosterone-charging songs fit the Madden theme quite well. I never liked listening to System of a Down’s “Sugar,” but when I heard that song in Madden 2010, I could not help but feel the raw emotion of the song. It was contagious as I craved seeing the virtual football players crush each other on the way to earning a first down. It is like every scene in a sports movie where the protagonist team attempts to rally from a huge deficit. You can see players pummel their opponents with attitude while a hard-hitting rock song blares in the background.

Madden 11 added more classic hard-hitting songs in the mix (although it was not able to top Madden 2010’s soundtrack) so I thought of, what could be the best list of songs that Madden can come up with? Here are my suggestions:

Korn – Blind. The best intro song for Madden. Its instrumental progression (drums to guitar to bass to lead) that brings to Jonathan Davis’ famous line “Are you ready?!” is just too awesome.
System of a Down – Sugar. Need I say more? I do not know the lyrics of this song but all that matters is that this song fuels the player to feel the “mosh pit” atmosphere which is quite similar when a football play starts.
Incubus – New Skin. There are very many upbeat Incubus songs but I think this song from S.C.I.E.N.C.E. fits the theme well because it is instantly hard-hitting.
2Pac - Can't C Me. Who says I cannot make up a song list with rap songs? This is arguably the best rap song in Madden 2010.
Gary Glitter - Rock and Roll Pt. 2. From hardcore rock to classic rock. This sports classic may not be hard but it always fuels sports fans with its energetic melody.
Fatboy Slim - Right Here, Right Now. Techno energy that delivers the atmosphere that nu metal songs bring.
Foo Fighters – The Pretender. Foo Fighters’ songs are usually perfect for games. I get pumped up when I hear “Everlong” in Guitar Hero World Tour. For sports, it’s got to be “The Pretender.” This is the palaban song of the list: “What if I say I’m not like the others? | What if I say I’m not just another one of your plays | You’re the pretender | What if I say that I will never surrender?” BAM! I am quite biased on this song because I listened to a lot of this way back in 2008 when Ateneo battled La Salle (a year after Boom Gonzales tagged Ateneo as “the pretenders to the crown”). Guess who was the pretender in 2008.
Kanye West – Amazing. I know this was made for basketball and it not as upbeat as the other songs. However, people will get tired if everything is upbeat, right?
Guns N’ Roses – Welcome to the Jungle. Classic song that still continues to fuel sports fans in the present time.
Puff Daddy (feat. Notorious B.I.G., Lil' Kim and the Lox) - It's All About the Benjamins. I love how the bass booms in this song with Biggie’s booming voice. This is also a good theme for a cash cow like NFL.
Korn – Chi. Second Korn song?! Yes, I do not listen to Korn anymore but if there is anything awesome their music brings, that would be fueling their mosh pit frenzied audience. I know this is quite hardcore but “Sugar” was in Madden 2010. Speaking of hardcore…
Slipknot – (sic). In a list where hard songs thrive, the most hardcore band should also be in the list, right? Madden 2010 had Slipknot’s “Duality,” anyway. However, I am going with the first song from their self-titled album. With the insanely fast drumbeats and Corey’s roaring vocals, (sic) is just wicked sick. The lyrics even fit the game: “Enemy, show me what you wanna be. | I can handle anything, even if I can’t handle you | Readily, either way it better be | Don’t you effin’ pity me. | Get up, get off.”
The Smashing Pumpkins – The Everlasting Gaze. But, of course, The Smashing Pumpkins should be in this list. Billy Corgan’s spacelike vocals as he sings “You know I’m not dead” should not be left out.
Eminem – Lose Yourself. Arguably the best sports rap song ever.
Kiss – Shout It Out Loud. Madden 11 had “Rock and Roll All Nite” and it is good for it. Either way, you can’t go wrong in any rock and roll song of Kiss. Also, I just want some variation.
Blur – Song 2. Woohoo!
Deftones – Korea. Another band that is perfect in this setting, you can’t go wrong with any Deftones song.
Nirvana – Lithium. I probably should have gone with “Smells Like Teen Spirit” but “Lithium” represents grunge well. Oh wait… I forgot about Soundgarden’s “Black Hole Sun!”
Flo Rida – Right Round.
Rage Against the Machine – Bulls on Parade. I had a difficult time choosing between this, “Testify” and “Guerilla Radio” but either way, RATM is another band that must have a song in Madden.
The Who – Baba O’ Riley. Teenage Wasteland! This is the alternative to Korn’s “Blind” for the amazing intro. Actually, “Baba O’ Riley” is musically better and still has its charm up to the present day as it was used in CSI.
Metallica – Enter Sandman. ‘Nuff said!

Madden makes you want to crush the beer can
Say what you want about 90s nu metal bands, but I think that their songs (no matter how musically inferior some people view them) serve good purpose for sports games like Madden. They energized people way back in the ‘90s, what’s stopping them from giving raging hormones to the Madden gamers? By the way, this list was mostly about nu metal, hardcore rock, grunge, rap and classic rock (and a bit of alternative and techno) because these genres are effective in fueling the fans.

Sidenote: I tried not to be biased on the song choices. Yeah, I really did. What? You’re not convinced? There’s no Paramore in this list. Yup, I am not gonna fantard on them because even if they have hard-hitting sounds, I am not sure if Hayley’s voice fits Madden well.

Top 10 Sports Songs

Intimidating enough?
On The Cusp: Guns N’ Roses – Sweet Child O’ Mine and John Williams - The Imperial March (Darth Vader’s Theme). I know both of these songs are not sports songs. I could have chosen Guns N’ Roses’ “Welcome to the Jungle” as it is always used in stadiums but Sweet Child’s instrumental intro is just too uplifting. As for Darth Vader’s theme, I am not sure if this was played (I usually hear the Star Wars theme in some games) but I think that this song is awesome for its intimidating factor to put a scare to your opponent.

10. Blur – Song 2. This song is made to unleash energy. Song 2 is perfect in bringing some life to a dull crowd. Woohoo!

Excerpt: Woohoo!

9. Kanye West - Amazing. The official song of the 2009 NBA Playoffs. Up to now, I get giddy whenever I hear the drum beat of this song's intro. It is like a mini war song combined with the mellow-ness of R&B sounds. Kanye's voice fits well in this song and it is distinct enough that hearing this song automatically reminds me of the montage in the 2009 NBA Playoffs.

Excerpt: I’m exhausted | Barely Breathing | Holding on to what I believe in | No matter what | You’ll never take that from me | My reign is as far as your eyes can see

8. Eminem - Lose Yourself. The best sports rap song of all time. I know, I do not listen to rap songs but I can say that rap songs do not fit sports anthems as rock songs do. Oops! Hoops fans might get ticked off based on that statement. Let me rephrase it: It just happens that rock songs that fall under the "sports genre" are better than rap songs that could fall under the "sports genre." Because after all, some genres of rock are not that great for sports either, like emo, punk, glam and hardcore. It's just that rock has a wider scope than hip hop/rap.

Nevertheless, Eminem's "Lose Yourself" is a gem for sports moments. It delivers angst and swagger, which are important in fueling sports teams to defeat their opponents. Eminem has a way to make his lyrics stand out even if he is rapping at a fast pace (understanding the lyrics does matter). And of course, this song is one of the best upbeat sports-related songs of all time.

Excerpt: Look, if you have one shot, or one opportunity | To seize everything you ever wanted – one moment | Would you capture it or just let it slip?

I like viewing FNL's intro because of Aimee Teegarden
7. W.G. Snuffy Walden and Bennett Salvay - Friday Night Lights Theme Song. This is not exactly a sports song because I am not sure if this is played in stadiums, but because this theme song is played in a sports-related TV show, I am putting it in this list. This theme song  starts with a calm and soothing instrumental then progresses to an uplifting rock melody. There are no lyrics in this theme song but the instrumental sounds pretty much describe the emotion that it delivers - it is a song that is meant to uplift and inspire.

6. Survivor - Eye of the Tiger. Of course! The "Rocky III" theme song should be in this list. This is the most monumental song for boxing and its lyrics are well-put for a competitive atmosphere.

Excerpt: It's the eye of the tiger, it's the thrill of the fight | Risin' up to the challenge of our rival | And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night | And he's watching us all in the eye of the tiger.

5. Foo Fighters - My Hero. Not only is the song awesome, it also delivers another viewpoint that other sports-related songs do not focus on. It humanizes the hero that fans idolize. Sports songs are usually about winning and motivating yourself to beat the crap out of your rival, but this classic by the Foo Fighters stands out by focusing on the sports athletes that fans view as heroes. I am aware that this song is not specifically made for sports. I am not sure if Dave Grohl wrote this for his ex-bandmate, the late Kurt Cobain. Nevertheless, this song speaks well for sports heroes. “My Hero” is best played in montages of the big names in sports.

Excerpt: Don't the best of them bleed it out? | While the rest of them peter out | Truth or consequence, say it aloud | Use that evidence, race it around. | There goes my hero | Watch him as he goes | There goes my hero | He's ordinary

4. Journey - Don't Stop Believing. The perfect song for underdogs. Everybody loves underdogs, right? The ones who are beaten badly in the start then suddenly come up victorious in the end. Every regular Joe relates to it and use “underdogs” as their source of inspiration. In short, it makes them think: don't stop believing!

Excerpt: Streetlight people | Living just to find emotion | Hiding somewhere in the night | Don't stop believin' | Hold on to that feelin' | Streetlight people

3. Queen - We Are The Champions. The anthem for sports championships. It is a no-brainer that this song should be in this list. When your team experiences a championship, it always feels good to sing "We are the champions!" with jubilation and pride.

Excerpt: I've paid my dues | Time after time | I've done my sentence | But committed no crime | And bad mistakes | I've made a few | I've had my share of sand kicked in my face | But I've come through

2. Queen - We Will Rock You. For years, this has been my fighting anthem when watching sports games. Ever since watching it being played in a Mighty Ducks movie, I have loved the swagger this clap-and-stomp-fueled song brings. This song is excellent in raising the momentum of the audience. This song is great because it elicits an intimidating response from everyone. It is kick-ass without going overboard.

Excerpt: You got mud on your face | You big disgrace | Somebody better put you back into your place

1. Gary Glitter - Rock and Roll Pt. 2. What?! The best sports-related song is the one that has no lyrics (except for "Hey!")??! Yup, it is ironic that this list - which involved me exponding on the emotion delivered by the lyrics - climaxes with a song that has no lyrics at all. This choice is cliché, but as much as I want to go un-cliché, I never liked sacrificing the actual best just to go un-cliché.

Gary Glitter's 1972 classic continues to be played in any sporting event up to the present time. It still elicits a very good crowd response (even if people are leaving after Ateneo games in 2008, they still shout "Hey!" at the right times as the Blue Babble Band plays this after a victory). This is still the best rally song in my opinion. There are no lyrics but the instruments make up for it as it pumps its audiences. "Rock and Roll Pt. 2" can also be used in various occasions: when the team is introduced, when the team is rallying, when the team makes a big shot, when it is crunch time, and when the team wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment