Friday, December 10, 2010

Best TV Series Chicks

Where does Veronica Mars rank in this list? | Credit: IMDB/Whichever TV series these characters belong to

It is December and it is the time of the year when I love blogging about the bests of the year like: a) which are my favorite songs of each month? or b) what were the top fives or top tens of this year? (OK, I lied. I always love ranking stuff in a top ten or top one hundred-something manner regardless of the month.)  December marks this time of the year for me because it is the time to reflect on what has happened as it is the last month of the year. But in this case, I am making an “all-time list” to commemorate the awesome eye candies that motivate guys like me to watch TV shows even if it gets into boring parts. After all, it is December and if ever you get stuck home during the holiday season watching TV reruns, it is nice to take note of this list.

There is a reason why I entitled this blog entry “Best TV Series Chicks” instead of “Hottest TV Chicks” or “Sexiest Female Celebrities on TV.” Even if the main prerequisite of this list is physical beauty, I also factored in acting ability, likeability and charisma (I know you will think “Translation: Crap, Bullcrap, and Stop lying please.”) But, I really factored these in, so that it would add some ‘flavor’ in my choices. I am not going to lie that Physical Beauty is the biggest factor. We, guys, also like watching eye candies in our TV shows. However, I still think that nobody beats the fervor of the fangirls when going gaga over their crushes. That is why there is such a thing as Team Edward and Team Jacob while there is no Team Serena and Team Blair (What? There is such a thing? Ah yes… but it is from a chick show and most likely chicks invented that). But my point is, I may be biased over these eye candies at the start but I will most probably lose it as the episodes go by if they do not act well or are just plain horrible to watch. This is why I am factoring other things aside from physical beauty. (Side note: They can be unlikeable and still be cool. That is, as long as they act well in being unlikeable)

I still put some chicks from shows that I have never watched (i.e., Vampire Diaries) because they are too beautiful to not make this. If the actress appeared in two TV shows (like Kristen Bell in ‘Veronica Mars’ and ‘Heroes’), I’ll choose the better character version. In order to be eligible, the character should appear in at least five episodes in that TV series. This is to eliminate cameo appearances as this list might be bloated by marquee actresses from “Entourage.” (i.e., Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Alba) Also, I am excluding TV shows before 2005. Rachel Green (Jennifer Aniston) and Monica Geller (Courteney Cox) would easily make this list but let’s face it: we need to have ‘current’ TV chicks here (Courteney Cox is still ‘current’ because of her “Cougar Town” character but she is not that hot anymore).

30. Dr. Allison Cameron (House). Actress Name: Jennifer Morrison. Wow! A Top Thirty List? Yes. I thought that having a top ten ranking would be too short and might even cause some puzzlement from my readers because their favorite TV chick was not even included. When I made the Top Twenty List, I realized that there are still some notable ones that I have left out so I decided to make it 30. Picking #30 was even difficult because I chose from Dr. Cameron and Marissa Cooper of “The O.C.” (Mischa Barton). I ended picking Dr. Cameron after tossing a coin.
29. Serena van der Woodsen (Gossip Girl). Nickname: S. Actress Name: Blake Lively. Before this causes a commotion, I have to say that Serena is one of the hottest chicks in this list. However, I have always been Pro-Blair (and Leighton is more beautiful as well). I did not like the way Serena is as the goody-two-shoes girl in the show. Exhibit A: When Serena fell for Dan in Season 1, it felt weird how easy it was for her.
28. Pam Beesly (The Office). Actress Name: Jenna Fischer. I first watched Jenna in a Celebrity Poker Tour episode where she was blatantly using her boobs to distract her opponents. Of course, I liked her. She was even one of the reasons why I wanted to watch “The Office.” Even if most of my buddies disagree on me on who is better between Jenna Fischer and Rashida Jones (she is one of the characters in Season 3), I will always choose Pam Beesly. Her reactions on ‘moments’ with Jim are so genuine. After all, the Jim-Pam relationship is one of the best love stories ever. It also helped that Jenna Fischer pulled off an amazing speech in “Beach Games” (and this is one of my favorite scenes from “The Office”) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-stTfHfmyo&playnext=1&list=PL2116B85E16093AAF&index=11
27. Gloria Delgado-Pritchett (Modern Family). Actress Name: Sofia Vergara. Funny actress. Hot MILF. Enough said!
26. Parker Lee (Veronica Mars). Actress Name: Julie Gonzalo. The chick (other than Kristen Bell) that motivated me to watch The Season That Did Not Exist. I do not know if her introduction image made her hotter but Parker was really an eye candy in “Veronica Mars” Season 3. (Side note: I was choosing between Parker and Meg Manning but I realized that Meg appeared in only few episodes to be relevant)
25. Liz Lemon (30 Rock). Actress Name: Tina Fey. The three-time Comedy Best Actress should be in this list. As Jack TV stated in their reasons to watch “30 Rock”: “Tina Fey is hot.” True that. When she puts on those nerd eyeglasses, she brings in an impeccable aura.
24. Dr. Elliot Reid (Scrubs). Actress Name: Sarah Chalke. For Sarah, it was either her young version in “Scrubs” or her mature version in “How I Met Your Mother” (as Stella Zinman). The youthful Dr. Elliot was my choice. Why? Because she became too unlikeable after leaving Ted at the altar (and adding insult to injury by encouraging her hubby to make a film against Poor Ted).
23. Bridget Hennessy (8 Simple Rules). Nickname: Bridgey. Actress Name: Kaley Cuoco. Sorry, “The Big Bang Theory” fans. Kaley was hotter in “8 Simple Rules” than in your geek show. Her character in “8 Simple Rules” was simply a dad’s nightmare – wearing slutty attire and jumping from one relationship to another. Still not convinced? She wore a thong in the pilot episode. Other than the hotness, Bridget was also adorable even if she was basically a dumb blonde. (I seldom like dumb blondes.) Kaley makes Bridget’s narcissistic attitude funny and likeable.
22. Robin Scherbatsky (How I Met Your Mother). Nickname: Scherbatsky, Ro-Ro, Robocop. Actress Name: Cobie Smulders. Other than the fact that Robin is physically sexy (especially when she curls up her hair or when she blatantly proclaims she is exposing her cleavage), I like Robin because Cobie does the blooper funny moments naturally. Sure, these can be comic and over-the-top at times but her facial reactions mostly make me laugh out loud. I guess it also helps that Lily Aldrin (Alyson Hannigan) – the other female mainstay – is rarely funny.
21. Miss Farrell (Mad Men). Actress Name: Abigail Spencer. I bet you do not know her. She was the teacher in the third season. Critics may not have liked her acting chops, but her beauty is insane when she has that ‘60s look. When I first saw her, I rooted for Don Draper to target her as his next cheating target (even if I was strong rooting for Don not to cheat on Betty anymore…of course, it changed when Betty decided to cheat as well). I did not even recognize that Abigail was the forgettable Blah-Blah in “HIMYM.”
20. Betty Draper (Mad Men). Nickname: Betsy. Actress Name: January Jones. It was just fitting that January Jones got the Emma Frost role in the next “X-Men” flick as she is a natural ice queen. Oh, Betty…. The coldest bitch in recent TV history. She may be childish and unlikeable but January is such a pretty face to discard from this list. She may have a lot of haters but I still believe that she acted quite well in Season 3 (thus, she earned the Best Actress nomination).
19. Daphne Millbrook (Heroes). Actress Name: Brea Grant. No matter how mediocre “Heroes Season 3” was, I will always remember it as one of the seasons that had boatloads of hot chicks. When Daphne was first shown, I got enthusiastic. She goes this high because even if “Heroes” already had Ali Larter, Kristen Bell, Dania Ramirez and Hayden Panettiere all at the same episode, Brea’s Daphne still stood out. (Side note: I never liked her acting though. But because she was killed quickly, I felt bad for her instead of having the she-may-be-sexy-but-she-acts-terribly-that-i-don’t-care-if-she-gets-killed feeling.
18. Sarah Walker (Chuck). Actress Name: Yvonne Strahovski. I do not watch “Chuck” but I am quite aware that Yvonne Strahovski is a head-turner. Also, her full name is cool and sexy.
17. Nancy Botwin (Weeds). Actress Name: Mary-Louise Parker. Easily the hottest cougar of the year. Mary-Louise is in her latter half of the forties and she still looks attractive and sexy. That has to merit something. I do not watch “Weeds” (although I am considering it) but I am aware that Mary-Louise’s Nancy is one of the better characters in television.
16. Blair Waldorf (Gossip Girl). Nickname: B. Queen Bee/B (?). Actress Name: Leighton Meester. I always liked her nasty character even if I would possibly loathe such queen bitches in school. I like Blair because her character was genuine, distinct and interesting. Her misfortunes and stumbles make you want to root for her. Her nasty, manipulative ways are brilliant as well.
15. Sarah (Lost). Actress Name: Julie Bowen. This ranking is made for the Sarahs in TV shows. She just appeared for five episodes as Jack’s ex-wife and that was pretty much it. Her stay was short but it was enough for Julie Bowen to stand out. Also, Sarah wins the prize ‘Best Transformation from accident face to pretty face.’ When she left Jack, I felt bad for Jack because he lost an insanely pretty wife.
14. Niki Sanders/Tracy Strauss/Jessica Sanders (Heroes). Actress Name: Ali Larter. I counted her three characters as just one so it does not mean that if one ugly actress would have 1,000 characters in a show, she makes this list due to a cumulative score. Ali Larter is obviously hot. Her three characters also made it better because she resurrects to another character every time she gets killed off.
13. Elena Gilbert/Katherine Pierce (The Vampire Diaries). Actress Name: Nina Dobrev. Here is another multiple-name chick in a show. OK, I do not watch “The Vampire Diaries” so I have no idea why Nina has two names in this show. But, this I know: she is 101% Eye Candy.
12. Sloan McQuewick (Entourage). Actress Name: Emmanuelle Chriqui. Most “Entourage” fans would say that Sloan is the hottest chick in the show. I disagree because there are two other underrated “Entourage” hotties to be mentioned in this list. However, Sloan is still insanely hot that is why she is at #12. She is so hot that she can get away with just donning a sexy dress and not do anything. Having said that, Emmanuelle’s Sloan character is a bit bland. She is likeable, but she does not add that much to the story other than making me say how lucky Eric Murphy is.
11. Kate Austen (Lost). Nickname: Freckles. Actress Name: Evangeline Lilly. Kate has been one of the most polarizing characters in “Lost” as a lot of fans in boardrooms I have lurked on hated how worthless her character has become in the final season. Even if I liked Kate in the first seasons, I have to agree with some of the fans (but not to a point of wishing that Kate gets shot). But still, Kate is an integral character in arguably the best TV show of all-time. Heck, she was one of the reasons why I initially watched “Lost.” She strikes a resemblance of Kate Beckinsale.
10. Lyla Garrity (Friday Night Lights). Nickname: Garrity. Actress Name: Minka Kelly. Esquire’s “Sexiest Woman Alive” this year starts the Top Ten List. Why just tenth? Look, I like Minka. She is easily a ten (or even an eleven). However, I am not fan of her acting skills. I also did not understand the sudden turns of her Lyla character (how did she become a devout Christian then lose it quickly after a year?) She has improved through the years but she was mostly an eye candy for most of the show. But still, it is a travesty to not put her in the Top Ten of this list, right?
9. Amanda Daniels (Entourage). Actress Name: Carla Gugino. You do not need Ari Gold to mention about Amanda’s cleavage to notice how hot she is. Vince’s ex-agent, ex-girlfriend is one of the best guest stars the show had (that’s why they still had her in two seasons after Vince left her agency). Carla’s authoritative and alluring voice fits her Amanda character. She also has that nasty/wicked/temptress aura that makes you want to root for Ari Gold even though you know that Amanda is just giving him healthy competition. Oh, and did I mention cleavage already? I do not want to sound a pervert but they have been blatantly exposing it and talking about it in the show. Everything is awesome about Amanda but it could have gotten better if they showed/milked her partnership with…
8. Lizzie Grant (Entourage). Actress Name: Autumn Reeser. Her partnership with Amanda had potential. Two chicks who have the capability to become nasty and manipulative to go against Hollywood’s Most Likeable Douchebag – Ari Gold. I do not even know who to root for. Lizzie is the best corporate-clad chick that “Entourage” showcased. Very classy yet sexy. I rooted for her when Ari did not promote her even if she deserved it – yeah, even if she actually destroyed the marriage of Ari’s best friend a year ago. Yup, her appeal made me forgot that when I watched Season 7
7. Kim Bauer (24). Actress Name: Elisha Cuthbert. Simply because she is Elisha Cuthbert.
6. Shannon Rutherford (Lost). Actress Name: Maggie Grace. Easily “Lost’s” most beautiful chick. Shannon is supposed to be unlikeable because she is a spoiled brat, right? Well, yeah, but I liked how Maggie portrayed Shannon (aside from the fact that there were some redemptive moments for Shannon). I got pissed when they killed her off in Season 2.
5. Dr. Izzie Stevens (Grey’s Anatomy). Actress Name: Katherine Heigl. She gets minus points for getting shaved bald but she also gets plus points for making a huge sacrifice and pulling off her cancer patient role. And of course, her Season 2 acting was also one of my favorites. The New Queen of Chick Flicks should be in the Top Five. I know that people may be tired of Katherine’s typical role of being the suppressed goody-two-shoes who is funny at times but she does well at it.
4. Julie Taylor (Friday Night Lights). Actress Name: Aimee Teegarden. The Coach’s Daughter. I was supposed to put Julie in fifth place but because I really want to bump her up this list, I did it. After all, Izzie was insufferable in some “Grey’s Anatomy” episodes. Well, Julie also was especially when she broke up with Matt Saracen in Season 2 but I realized one thing after watching Season 5 Episode 5 recently: Julie can make me hate and love her character through the years. That’s what actors are supposed to do, right? Aside from which, I prefer her cute face and bangs. (How many times have I blogged that I like girls who have bangs?) Her smile is also awesome.
It also helps that I liked how FNL writers made the Matt-Julie tandem one of the feel-good love stories.

Another reason why I bumped Julie Taylor up: when I first saw the opening credits of Season 5 and I saw ‘Aimee Teegarden’ as one of the main characters (even if she already graduated), I felt ecstatic. After watching Julie for four seasons and me wanting her on the show means how good of a character she was. When Izzie got the boot in “Grey’s Anatomy” last year, I did not feel sad at all (partly because her storyline has been used up).
3. Dr. Lexie Grey (Grey’s Anatomy). Actress Name: Chyler Leigh. Forget about Lexie’s blonde look (which was a disaster). Lexie Grey is the prettiest of them all (that is, when she is a brunette). She also does the underdog role well so it was easy to cheer for her. Did I mention prettiest face already? Yeah, I did. I just want to emphasize it again.
2. Elle Bishop (Heroes). Actress name: Kristen Bell. No Veronica Mars? Yup. I found Kristen Bell’s Elle Bishop character slightly hotter than her Veronica Mars character. Do not get me wrong. Veronica Mars is one of the best characters ever. However, she has a ‘jailbait’ aura (even if Kristen Bell was on her twenties when she was Veronica). Elle Bishop, on the other hand, is nasty and wicked but Kristen pulls it off really well that I even rooted for her even if she was on the bad side.
1. Joan Holloway (Mad Men). Nickname: Joanie, Red. Actress Name: Christina Hendricks. A lot of the “Mad Men” actresses become immensely attractive when they wear their 1960’s hairdo (i.e., Cara Buono a.k.a. Dr. Faye Miller). However, Christina is naturally beautiful with or without the “Mad Men” hairdo. This voluptuous redhead is one of the most unique specimens that we have seen through the years. As Bill Simmons quips, Christina might not be the prettiest face in “Mad Men” but she is like Shaq – you can see hundreds of January Jones in your life (case in point, January looks like Anna Paquin of “True Blood”) but there will only be one Christina Hendricks. After four seasons of “Mad Men,” Joan has become one of the most likeable characters in the show. Thanks to Christina’s acting chops as she pulls off Joan Holloway aptly with the sophisticated vixen style. I was so interested to see Christina in another role that I decided to watch Katherine Heigl’s chick flick, “Life as we Know It.” (Of course, I did not read the reviews. I was shocked and frustrated when I learned that Christina’s character died at the early part of the film. Needless to say, I still liked the flick despite its low Rotten Tomatoes rating.)

No comments:

Post a Comment