Sunday, September 9, 2012

8 Random Thoughts: The September 2K12 Edition

Look who's not impressed on my blogging this year | Credit: All of the McKayla's Not Impressed websites
(In CP3 voice) WoW. I got to blog twice in a week this year! This is primarily because 1) I am back in the Philippines so I have fewer household chores to do; and 2) I could barely do anything in our condo because of the lack of a television and decent Internet connection. Without further ado, I am returning my favorite ‘anything under the sun’ article.

Random Thought # 1: Any thoughts on UAAP this season?

It surely is more competitive and more physical. But then, that’s like saying the sky is blue. Thanks for the obvious, Jeff. On a serious note, I think the Ateneo Blue Eagles will win their fifth championship except if some miracle happens (that’s not a miracle for us, Ateneans) and UST goes 2006 UST with three times the luck they had then. You might say I am bragging or being too arrogant/overconfident here, but with the way the Ateneo team is structured right now, it is a well-oiled machine that even if UST plays the same level as its 2006 version, it won’t defeat the Blue Eagles. Here are reasons why:

Ateneo has the championship experience. The 2006 Ateneo Team was pretty much blemished with the coming-up-short attitude. The only 2002 champ mainstays there were JC Intal, Macky Escalona and Doug Kramer. All three played minor or insignificant roles in the 2002 run. There is a reason why La Salle refuses to let their vets play right now – they already have the losing stain in them.

Do not underestimate the heart of a champion. Four years of winning constantly has given this crop of Ateneans the understanding and belief on when they can perform at the highest level. Classic example of that in display: 2010 Blue Eagles. A lot of people thought they would eventually lose. Ateneans did not think so. We know we could pull off the rabbit from the hat then.

Defense wins championships. That has been the main ingredient of Ateneo’s four-peat squad. I can see UST, La Salle or FEU displaying magnificent shooting when facing Ateneo in the crucial games. But as long as they find it hard to penetrate and score high percentage points, Ateneo will likely catch up. With Slaughter and Erram guarding the paint, it is going to be tough for teams to break Ateneo’s championship streak. Also, do not underestimate Nico Salva. He is also a good blocker if needed.

Norman Black already knows how Pido operates. I am sure Pido has some tricks left. His motivational coaching is his ace card, but I think Ateneo is too much of a disciplined team to fold under the streaky Tigers once again.

Fundamental play. This is probably the biggest thing Ateneo will miss once Norman Black leaves the team next year. We concentrate on scoring high percentage shots that is why we are efficient. The Blue Eagles also rotate the ball well. This is the main reason why I am always confident when Ateneo faces FEU while Terrence Romeo or RR Garcia hogs the ball. The law of averages will always catch up to them no matter how lucky they are in the first half.

Norman Black. As long as he coaches the team, we are in good hands. Furthermore, these players are all his recruits. The same cannot be said to the 2006 team. This team was built to play for Coach Black’s system. Not only is the team composed of ex-high school standouts, they all buy into the teamwork mentality that Black has instilled in them.

I am aware that stranger things have happened in the past. Heck, La Salle could pull off an upset when their shooters get hot. However, I just do not see streaky teams doing it two in three games against the Blue Eagles’ vaunted defense. If things go wrong, just remember we have the player wearing Jersey # 13 on our side. If I am going to rate my confidence level for the Blue Eagles, it will be a 9.5. (Yes, even after two lackluster games by the Blue Eagles)

My Confidence Level Through The Years:
2008 Squad: 8
2009 Squad: 9
2010 Squad: 9.5
2011 Squad: 9

Disclaimer: Again, “bilog ang bola.” I am just saying I am confident. It never changed the fact that there is still a chance we could lose it this year. The league is far more competitive than it ever was since 2007 after all.

Random Thought # 2: Why do you think the Atlanta Braves will win the World Series this year?

Chipper's Braves will be glorious this year. Win or lose. | Credit: Sports Illustrated
Oh geez… I might be struck by lightning for all these predictions I am doing to my favorite teams. I hope I am not jinxing them with these. I am not doing the “every time you have a chance to pick your team, you have to do it” mentality anymore. I failed miserably on that before. This is more on the “I see something special on this team” mentality. So, why the Braves?
Atlanta’s hitting lineup is crazy deep. Some pundits would disagree on this especially because we had hitting slumps during the year. I am aware of that. I am also aware that Dan Uggla and Brian McCann are not having good seasons. However, these do not change the fact that Dan Uggla is the seventh hitter in our lineup. We have Michael Bourn (good hitter/baserunner), Martin Prado (solid), Chipper Jones (smart veteran), Jason Heyward (the all-around guy), Freddie Freeman (very good slugger – almost won the rookie of the year last year), Brian McCann (still a good hitter historically), Dan Uggla (he’s approaching the Mendoza Line but at least he gets those bases on balls) in our lineup. Atlanta is always known for having great pitchers and a mediocre batting lineup historically. We still won the NL East pennant 14 times then. This 2012 batch has a good mix of batters the same feeling I had for the 1995 Championship Squad.

Plethora of good pitchers. I get it. Some of our pitchers hit the slump lately. Hanson is having a so-so season. Ben Sheets is in the Disabled List. However, the Braves still have that embarrassment of riches in the starting pitcher department come playoff time.

Our batters can get on base. That is the secret success of Moneyball, right? Anyway, I prefer a team that reaches bases most of the time over a team that relies on homeruns. I have watched a lot of Braves games this year where we could have had a bigger score than the final result had the batters capitalized. (Unfortunately, the stats don’t back me up on this. Let’s just forget I used this for my reasoning)

We have great fielding. Aside from Chipper’s stupid throw to home this year, we have decent fielding. As long as Michael Bourn is in the center field, I am confident that opponents’ fly balls will be caught. Martin Prado is also a great all-around fielder. We are the best on-pace-to-playoffs team that generates the most double plays and 2nd (trailing the Yankees) in fewest errors per game.

It is Chipper Jones’ last year. His leadership cannot be understated. Our team usually struggles in capitalizing runs but when our batting hits all cylinders, I am confident the Braves can win it all. I hope Chipper’s last year would drive the same inspiration the Cards had on Pujols’ last year with them last year.

I am not a good baseball analyst and I do not even have most of the stats to back me up on this prediction. However, this is the best way I can rationalize on why I picked them to win. Other than which, I think it is more on the intangibles. It’s Chipper Jones’ last year after all.

Random Thought # 3: If you can pick a movie per decade, which movies would you select?
This is probably the greatest movie of all-time | Credit: IMDB
After I saw the results of Grantland’s Sequeltology, I thought it was a sign I should write about this topic that has been in my mind ever since they played the ‘pick five movies you’d want to have if you got stuck in an island’ in “The Office.” I need a movie topic to write about. It has been a while since I have been analysing movies so I might as well do this now.

I was not yet alive in the 1970s but I think I have watched a lot of 1970s movies that I should discuss those.

1970s: This has got to be the toughest decade to judge. There is a plethora of cool movies like Star Wars, The Godfather, The Godfather 2, Jaws, Rocky and The Exorcist. This is actually a top choice for me with either “Star Wars: A New Hope” and “The Godfather” duking it out on the top. I am a huge Star Wars fan so it is tough to count it out. “The Godfather,” however, is a masterpiece – a brilliant piece of art. But because I liked both the Star Wars (the old movies) and Godfather trilogies (with the former having the slight edge), I am going to judge on how A New Hope defined its trilogy as compared to “The Godfather” in its franchise. That makes it easy. “The Godfather” is the best movie of its franchise while “A New Hope” isn’t. My Pick: The Godfather.

1980s: Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Breakfast Club, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Hoosiers, and Scarface. These movies weigh heavily against each other. 1980s has the best Star Wars flick so it should be ‘Empire Strikes Back’ as my pick, right? Uhhhmmm… No. I am going with a sentimental pick here. Of course, I will choose the movie that was shown on my birth year (no, not Breakfast Club even if it was cool). “Back To The Future” is the defining 1980s cool film. I think my cousins and I replayed that movie 1,932 times when we were kids no matter how long it took to rewind those VHS tapes. But if you’re looking for a rational way as to why I picked it, here are my reasons for being such a fan:
Fun and Plausible Storyline: Check
Underdog Romance: Check
Hot Chick: Check
Cool Car: Check
Insight: Check (Themes like don’t mess with the past and you don’t need to look for the ideal in a relationship)
I’ve been in the clock tower scene in real life: Check (Thanks to Universal Studios Hollywood VIP Experience)
Oh wait… “Empire Strikes Back” also has those aspects except for the last one (substitute car with space ship). I guess being in the ‘Back to the Future’ set is the kicker. (What the hell, Jeff)

1990s: Super easy. “The Shawshank Redemption.” No questions entertained. Just read this.

2000s: “The Dark Knight” beats the rest of the field no matter how I enjoyed “Anchorman” or “500 Days of Summer.” For my explanation, read this.

Random Thought # 4: Any thoughts on the upcoming NFL season?
Prepare for more Brady to Gronkowski this year. | Credit: Zimbio.com
Most pundits say that NFL is a Quarterback’s League. That is true, given that the rules have provided a lot of protection to the quarterbacks. It allowed multiple quarterbacks to hit 5,000 passing yards last year. It never happened before, but I am not sure we will have that same sterling result this year. I am no NFL analyst by any means. I just followed the sport recently. However, if you are asking me what I think might happen this year, I think that we will have a slight downgrade on the offense as compared to last year. Defenses had a tough time at the start of the year last year. They did not have the sufficient reps during the preseason because of the lockout. We were really on for a weird year last year. It won’t surprise me if the same happens this year but I am betting on an improvement on defense this year.

Having said that, who do I think will win the Super Bowl this year? I guess I will go for a homer pick. I am picking my Green Bay Packers to beat the New England Patriots in this year’s Super Bowl (Wow, Jeff! Double Jinx!) Green Bay has the best quarterback in the league while New England boasts of unlimited passing options for future Hall of Famer Tom Brady. I do not care if I will end up jinxing both my teams. I am just that confident in them. They are young; they have the sufficient experience; and their defenses should have improved by now (at least in the pass rush department).

Random Thought # 5: What are your NFL Week 1 Picks?
Hey, I just picked you. And this is crazy... | Credit: miamidolphins.com
NEW YORK GIANTS over Dallas Cowboys. Got it wrong here. Who would’ve known that a banged up team would lose to the defending champions? Defending champions rarely lost on Kick-Off Night. Or was this a first? Either way, I am glad the Cowboys beat this effin’ team.
CHICAGO BEARS over Indianapolis Colts. Too early for the Luck Dynasty to start. I think he will achieve a lot this year, but not against a talented Bears team.
Philadelphia Eagles over CLEVELAND BROWNS. The Eagles burned me in Pigskin Pick ‘Em this year but that does not mean I will avoid picking them against a weak team this year.
DETROIT LIONS over St. Louis Rams. Child, please.
New England Patriots over TENNESSEE TITANS. Ditto.
Atlanta Falcons over KANSAS CITY CHIEFS. Intriguing game. I like Arrowhead Stadium’s effect on the opposing team (i.e., Chargers losing to the Chiefs last year. That was one of my memorable upset picks). However, I think the Falcons are for real.
MINNESOTA VIKINGS over Jacksonville Jaguars. MJD won’t get the full workload. Also, who is Jacksonville’s QB1 again?
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS over Washington Redskins.
NEW YORK JETS over Buffalo Bills. People are so down on the Jets this year that they easily forget that this was the team that overachieved in two of the last three seasons. Also, they are playing at home.
HOUSTON TEXANS over Miami Dolphins. There would be more times I will rewatch the Dolphins’ cheerleaders’ “Call Me Maybe” video than the Dolphins will win games this year. #nonsense
GREEN BAY PACKERS over San Francisco 49ers. Packers are at home against the 49ers who may have had benefitted from a good regular season schedule last year. I believe the 49ers are for real, but I do not think they are that elite. They are in everybody’s radar now.
Seattle Seahawks over ARIZONA CARDINALS.
TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS over Carolina Panthers. Wow. Everyone believes in the Panthers. I know they were unexpectedly good last year. They might end up having a better year this year. However, I think Tampa Bay will turn it around this year. I believe in them.
Pittsburgh Steelers over DENVER BRONCOS. Revenge game + Bad Karma for trading Tebow.
BALTIMORE RAVENS over Cincinnati Bengals. Baltimore is for real while I think Cincy might miss the playoffs this year.
OAKLAND RAIDERS over San Diego Chargers. Norv in September is horrible.

Random Thought # 6: Any predictions on who will win the Emmy Awards this year?
Of course, we need the obligatory Joan Holloway (Christina Hendricks) picture | Credit: AMC
Comedy Series: Modern Family. They did not have that stellar of a season, but did the others have exceptional results too?
Comedy Actor: I want Louis C.K. to win it in here but I think Don Cheadle will win it for his performance in “House of Lies.”
Comedy Actress: Leslie Knope did not win it last year so I am more inclined to pick Zooey Deschanel (New Girl) to get it this year. If not, Melissa McCarthy for the back-to-back
Supporting Comedy Actor: Stonestreet’s Cam was less insufferable this year and his Fizbo performance was memorable. However, I am picking Phil Dunphy (Modern Family) here.
Supporting Comedy Actress: Kristen Wiig (Saturday Night Live). The Emmy’s is not known for tribute voting, but what the heck. I’ll throw this upset pick of the Awards.
Drama Series: Mad Men. “Breaking Bad” is inches near “Mad Men” in this category because of the former’s continuous improvement and the latter’s slight step back. However, a lot of things happened in “Mad Men” this year that I do not think they will lose this.
Drama Actress: Claire Danes (Homeland). “Homeland” should bag at least one award. This is the most deserving the show can get.
Drama Actor: Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad). This is easy.
Supporting Drama Actress: Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife). They never let Christina Hendricks win it last year, why would she win this year? Yes, even if that Jaguar episode was a kick-ass one.
Supporting Drama Actor: Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad). This was one of the categories I got right last year (the Dinklage pick). I think I’ll hit this one right again this year.

Random Thought # 7: This is supposed to be a Madden question, but because we are lacking pop culture topics in this blog entry, who do you think is the most underrated cute celebrity chick as of the moment?
Coleen Garcia. 'Nuff said! | Credit: her Facebook Fan Page
Haha. Of course, any time you can write about Coleen Garcia, you have to do it, right? Thanks to the numerous holidays we have here in the Philippines, I ended up tuning to a noontime show. I actually watched an ABS-CBN noon time show (Happy Yipee Yehey) last year. It was primarily because Bianca Manalo was there. In short, I was bored so I could muster watching corny and bakya jokes on TV (and besides, I grew up watching ‘Eat Bulaga’ anyway) just to watch cute babes. When I saw Coleen Garcia one afternoon on TV, well let’s just say I wanted to watch more eye candy.

I mean seriously, she is pretty much an astoundingly attractive chick. I will even throw a curve ball and exclaim that she is more beautiful than Anne Curtis (which I was not a fan to begin with). She has a better body and face. When I got to watch her at Makati Med while waiting for my surgery last week, I did not get impatient at all (of course, she was wearing a school girl outfit).

I think the only polarizing thing about her looks would be her nose (which I actually like). But what the heck, it’s not like we are Tom Cruises who can criticize one via her looks. Let’s stop objectifying her. She is a subject.

No wonder I still do not have a girlfriend right now.

Let’s just forget I wrote about this topic.

Random Thought # 8: (Spoiler Alert) Any thoughts on this year’s “Breaking Bad?”
Heisenberg! | Credit: AMC
I got to write about “Breaking Bad” even if I have not written a single thing about “Mad Men” this year, but since “Breaking Bad” is the “in” thing right now, all I can say is:

Superb! Brilliant! Four thumbs up!

There were inconsistencies or improbable storylines along the way, but the show has been thrilling and intriguing. It was even hilarious while a shocking sad incident happen (reference to Jesse Plemons, ‘Friday Night Lights’ Landry Clarke, killing a kid). The biggest thing that happened this season is the full transformation of Walter White into a bad guy. He has been a bad guy since Season 1 and has not been getting my sympathy since Season 4, but right now he has totally transformed. It is like he is owning his bad guy character. He has been killing people without remorse. I could not feel any sympathy during his sad moments already. You can always reason out “hey, he brought this to himself.” No matter how great of a genius he was in masterminding, he has been acting with reckless behaviour because of one significant aspect – pride. He did not want to share his secret formula. He did not want to be under the Chicken Man. He could not get satisfied with just five million (ironic, because he once said “You’re complaining after you got one million dollars? In what sick world do you live in?”). With eight episodes left, we wonder if Walter White/Heisenberg still has the smarts to escape from the deep hole he has dug himself into.

Prediction on the Show’s Ending: Walter White escapes. Everyone is already speculating if he gets killed, dies of cancer or gets thrown to jail. Let’s pick the improbable.

No comments:

Post a Comment