Sunday, December 6, 2009

No Music, No Life ‘09

Ladies and Gentlemen. People of all ages. I present to you the annual edition of my favorite songs per month… No Music No Life ’09! (Oh wait, I am having this ‘grand’ introduction even if nobody reads my blog… bah! Who cares?) Anyway, for those who have been following my blog through the years, you should know by now that I write about my songs of the month from December of the previous year to November of the current year. Why not the usual January to December format? Uhmmm…to be honest, I have no idea why when I started it in 2006. It grew into a tradition and by now I am sort of thinking that I like it this way because it is unique or it is something similar to how NBA and NFL have their seasons (i.e., in NBA’s case, season starts at October/November and ends in June the next year). It is ‘cool’ this way. But for this year, I think that doing such fits well in my blogging schedule as it gives room to my plan of writing about several topics about ‘the bests of the year and the decade’ starting this December 2009 to January 2010. This will serve as the pilot blog to ‘the commemoration of the bests’ stretch.

(You may have/haven’t noticed that I have been blogging less frequently in the past month. I guess it always happens after the peak season of my blogging – the UAAP season. Nevertheless, December is always a strong journal writing month for me so get ready… to read.)

Enough of the blabber. Here are my songs of the year.

December 2008: Paramore – I Caught Myself
Back-to-back Twilight soundtracks for November and December 2008. It is quite ironic because I did not like Twilight the movie at all. This did not stop me from appreciating Paramore’s semi-emo song about ‘stopping oneself from saying something foolish’. The song starts with a clean plucking pattern that progresses as the bass line starts. I loved this song because it was executed in a simple manner but it still succeeds in invoking strong emotions from its lyrics. This song is actually a good foreshadow of Paramore’s musical direction in their upcoming album then. The band is starting to dwell on acoustic and less hard-hitting tunes. This appeases their alternative-loving fans and I must say that they are maturing very well.

Other Highlights of the Month: Couldn’t think of any so for every time I could not think of a highlight, I will just state the most striking quote of the song of the month: “I know in my heart it’s not you.”

January 2009: Paramore – My Heart
Wow! I just could not get tired of listening to Paramore from November 2008 to January 2009. And, they did not release an album then. You know a band is special if you did not get tired of listening to them months after they were your last year’s best band. But the actual reason why I was still listening to Paramore was because I saved myself from listening their first album All We Know Is Falling up to this point. Of course, I already listened to some hits like Pressure, Emergency and Here We Go Again last year but it was only in January 2009 when I really paid attention to listening to the whole album.

What made this song great? Think Hallelujah. The song is hard-hitting yet it releases strong positive emotions. This is actually a great love song but I soon found out that it fitted as a religious song better. Since this came from Paramore’s first album, Hayley was easily belting long, high notes especially in the climax of this song. Add that to Josh Farro’s background screams and what I got was instant eargasm.

Other Highlights of the Month: If you were wondering, was this the breakup song? No, it is not. I won’t be putting any breakup song in this list.

Before the year 2008 ended, I got to have two concert CD’s: Paramore’s concert in Chicago and Eraserheads’ First Reunion Concert. These played routinely in my newly bought iPod Touch then. If there is such a thing as my runner-up song of the month, that would have to be Eraserheads’ With A Smile.

And if you are wondering, was I in love this month? Definitely not. I just loved listening to these love songs.

Other awesome songs: Alicia Keys & Jack White – Another Way To Die; MGMT – Electric Feel; MGMT – Time To Pretend; Paramore – Decoy

February 2009: Foo Fighters – Everlong
I always have a knack of making old songs as my song of the month. Everlong was my favorite Guitar Hero song. My very limited vocal range fit this song well that I could easily finish Expert Mode even if I turn my back from the TV screen. Other than which, I enjoyed the progression and raw energy this song brings. Also, this is easily one of those songs that have aged well.

Other Highlights of the Month: Runner-up song is Foo Fighters’ My Hero. This is also the month when I got into LSS mode on Lady Gaga’s Just Dance (Yup, there is no typo error there). I was in a club at Valentine’s Day when that song boomed from the DJ’s sound system and I could not help myself but dance to its tune. Yes, it is so mainstream but I could not care less.

Another great song this month was Death Cab For Cutie’s Soul Meets Body. I discovered this song when I was watching a rerun of HIMYM. It was played at the end of the episode. I was already familiar to the song so it became easier to appreciate it then.

March 2009: Fall Out Boy – America’s Suitehearts / Fall Out Boy – The (Shipped) Gold Standard
Fall Out Boy strikes again! Folie A Deux was released some months then and it took me until March before I got hold of my copy. FOB is indeed mainstream now but I do not effin’ care. To be honest, it actually made them better as they evolved into a distinct band. Patrick Stump continues to be one of my favorite vocalists in both of these songs even if I did not care about the meaning of the lyrics that much. The main reason why I liked these songs? Melody. That is what the mainstream Fall Out Boy excels at.

Other Highlights of the Month: Runner-up song would have to be Alexis Grace’s studio version of Dirty Diana. I overplayed it in my iPod Touch even if she was already eliminated from American Idol.

“You can only blame your problems on the world for so long until it all becomes the same old song.”

April 2009: Katharine McPhee – Somewhere Over The Rainbow
American Idol month! Even if my fave got eliminated way too early, I was so into watching America’s most watched show. I found myself listening to past AI songs (…I did not watch the show that much then…) like Carrie Underwood’s Alone, Clay Aiken’s Bridge Over Troubled Water and Kelly Clarkson’s A Moment Like This. YouTube for the win. But the performance that stood out the most was the awesomely beautiful Katharine McPhee’s rendition of Somewhere Over The Rainbow. It mesmerized me a lot that I listened to it before I fell asleep.

OHM: As usual, April is the weakest month when it comes to new songs. I always find myself listening to a wide variety of old songs during this month. Just like last year, I went into Beatles mode during this month as I downloaded the whole discography of The Beatles.

May 2009: Snow Patrol – Crack The Shutters
May is Snow Patrol month. For the third straight May, my favorite song is a Snow Patrol single. After I listened to their album A Hundred Million Suns, I could not help but play this particular song repeatedly. Great lyrics. I think this is a close second to the lyrics of the year. As I am not into emo anymore, any positive love song with great poetry like this entices me to listen.

OHM: Runner-up song is The Beatles’ Let It Be from the Let It Be album. I was accustomed to the mellow version of Let It Be. This version, however, has the electric guitar element that made it refreshing to listen to.

Another runner-up song would be Lady Gaga’s Pokerface. Goddamn LSS! I played this song in the background while I was playing hours of Plants vs. Zombies. Yeah, I think I danced to the tune of Pokerface whenever I escape a round when the zombies are supposed to eat my brains. Damn that game… it ate up so much time especially when I finished almost 200 rounds (I should’ve reached 200 but I let it finish because my fingers were already numb and it was already 3 AM just like now when I am typing this. Insomnia sucks!)

June 2009: Gin Blossoms – ‘Til I Hear It From You (Studio or Acoustic Version)
I have been listening to Gin Blossoms for years and this song was already part of my playlist then. However, this fact did not stop me from immersing myself to this good old nineties alternative song. I made a personal vow to avoid listening to emo songs this year (although I still listened to some but I never paid attention to lyrics), thus the next best thing was to listen to lighthearted alternative songs. I was actually listening to ‘Til I Hear It From You in my iPod since Holy Week but I played this song the most this June. Nevertheless, this song amazed me because of its simple acoustic/clear guitar sounds. For the second straight year, my second most favorite tune comes from the month of June.

OMH: I should be putting a good line from the month’s song because there are no other special songs from this month but I did not pay good attention to the lyrics. The music was just simply satisfying in itself.

July 2009: Paramore – When It Rains (Demo Version)
Even if I am already complete on Paramore’s albums, I still downloaded their discography in hope of discovering something new. And boy, was I right! I have been listening to When It Rains since January 2008 but I never fully appreciated the song then. It was just another song in Riot. The demo version, however, has brought the song to a higher level. Its raw nature made it appealing. It was like listening to Paramore perform in your music room. The distorted-yet-not-that-heavy guitar riffs made the song very refreshing. The title itself fits the current weather condition as I listened to it while driving in the busy streets of Makati as the rains kept pouring. The song message is also splendid because it exudes some optimism from a sad person. OK, that’s how I felt from it because the song is really about someone hiding from everyone (without any explanation) because of a sad experience. July was my worst month this year because I had a string of terrible luck then, but this song serves as a reminder to me ‘not to hide or run away’ even if it rains. In short, I tried to do the opposite of what was in the song’s lyrics.

OMH: Another demo version also played in my iPod Touch this month – Death Cab For Cutie’s Title and Registration (Original/Demo Version). It is another raw song where I can clearly hear unedited guitar riffs. It is just great to listen to such stuff because it feels ‘real.’

August 2009: Green Day – 21 Guns / Paramore – Ignorance
August marked the death of the late president Cory Aquino and for some weird reason, I found it appropriate to use 21 Guns as my theme song for the event because of the 21 gun salute. I actually got the idea when someone requested this song in the radio using the same reasoning I had. I like this song because of its message and its instrumental progression. I like it the best when the song climaxes on the part when Billy Joe Armstrong sings “Did you stand too close to the fire like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone?” even if I do not know what he means there. LOL. As for Paramore’s Ignorance, that would have to be a no-brainer for a Paramore fan like me. I have been thirsting for a new Paramore single for months. I did not actually like Ignorance when I first heard it but it slowly grew into me. Powerful lyrics. It happens to be one of the very few hard-hitting songs in Brand New Eyes.

OMH: “Well you treat me just like another stranger…”

September 2009: Panic! At The Disco – New Perspective
I do not exactly know where I first heard this song but all I can remember as of the moment is that it was tweeted by Ateneo’s courtside reporter and hours after that, I heard it in the radio and the song instantly clicked to me. It was like PATD’s Northern Downpour last year – the song delivers a positive note that makes me crave it further. In other words, a feel-good LSS. Like most of the lyrics that I liked this year, New Perspective delivers optimism. If I am not mistaken, the song’s meaning is to change for the better by having a new perspective/direction in life. I read from sites that the persona in the song plays along his relationships by just appreciating the shallow things. The song reveals that he realizes that he wants to change these wrong habits by having a better appreciation in life – to be more serious in his relationships. All in all, this is a great song from the vocals, melody and replayability. So far, it has aged well as I can still listen to it without the ‘sawa na feeling’ as of the present time.

OMH: Having a Tap Tap Revenge 2 version of New Perspective makes me like it further. It is the only game where I can see Megan Fox’s image while playing. Awesome! I have to admit that I got LSS on Taylor Swift’s You Belong With Me this month as well. For me, she sings mediocre but her beauty and charisma in her music video was undeniable. Damn, she pulled off a girl look which you could rate as 2/ 10 to become a 10/10 by just removing a pair of eyeglasses. Although, brunette Taylor Swift is hotter.

October 2009: Fall Out Boy – What A Catch, Donnie
At early October, I thought that Paramore’s Brick by Boring Brick would be the flavor of the month but I was mistaken. What A Catch, Donnie hit the radio airwaves and I suddenly fell into the spell of LSS. It is quite strange because I usually skip this track whenever I was playing songs from Folie A Deux last summer. Maybe, it was the ‘Soul Meets Body effect.’ The song usually gets drowned by other great songs when I listen to them but when it gets played on a medium where my favorite songs seldom get played, I start to realize the beauty of the song. Music video was also great because Stump gets more exposure than Pete Wentz. Talent needs to get the spotlight more than popularity sometimes.

OMH: Runner-up song is easily Paramore’s Brick by Boring Brick. It actually aged better than Ignorance but What A Catch, Donnie constantly played in my iPod Touch (and has aged well).

November 2009: Paramore – Turn It Off
After waiting for Paramore’s Brand New Eyes for more than a year, I only got hold of an album copy a month after it was released. Some kind of fan I am. Nevertheless, better late than never – BNE is one of the special albums where I instantly fell in love with the tracks in just my first play. Hayley’s voice really has an everlasting charm on me. I first liked The Only Exception as the track-that-I-never-heard-before in the album but I eventually went into the Turn It Off craze. This has single written all over it just like the way I felt on That’s What You Get when I listened to it in January 2008. Turn It Off has the upbeat element that past Paramore songs have but it also blends with the Brand New Eyes concept of toning down and being more alternative than punk. The most important thing in this song is that it has the element that most of the songs in this blog have: great progression. Listening to Hayley belt out the high notes at the climax of their songs never gets tiring as well. This song actually has the makings of the song of the year because it has excellent vocals, melody, rhythm, progression and LYRICS! Song lyrics is usually not Paramore’s strongest suit but I have to say that they pulled it off here as their theme was not cheesy and they used strong metaphors in delivering their semi-religious message. This band has definitely matured as they crack my all-time five greatest bands list.

OMH: When I learned about Paramore’s concert in Manila more than a couple of weeks ago, this was how I felt: giddy-excited-speechless-mark-out-like-a-schoolgirl-OMG-is-this-for-real. If you translate that into Filipino, hindi ako mapakali. Yes, the moment was so priceless because it was a dream come true. Watching a live Paramore concert is one of the things that I should experience before I can die in peace. That and get a picture with Hayley Williams. I just hope that Hayley is back to being a redhead when they perform this coming March 9. Paramore is my most YouTubed band and I know from it that they perform the best (yes I just said that) because they have talent, skills and stage presence wrapped up in one package. They are so charismatic and energetic that they make a way to involve their fans. They top performances by Led Zeppelin, Smashing Pumpkins, Incubus, and Jimmy Eat World whenever I watch their live performances. Yes, I just said that.

So much for overhyping them. I am now starting to temper my expectations because I do not want to get heavily disappointed when I see them live.

Runner-up songs of the month: Kings of Leon – Use Somebody; Paramore – Use Somebody (Acoustic Cover). Other than which, I also liked these songs: Dashboard Confessional – Belle of the Boulevard; Owl City – Fireflies; Boys Like Girls – Love Drunk; Noelle Cassandra’s cover of pop songs in Good Times with Mo.

Album of the Year: Fall Out Boy’s Folie A Deux / Paramore’s Brand New Eyes

Band of the Year: Paramore
Back-to-back years of band of the year. This is how special Paramore is to me. Easily a no-brainer.

Song of the Year: Panic! At The Disco – New Perspective
I was supposed to have Gin Blossoms’ ‘Til I Hear It From You as my song of the year but I figured that it is not good to have an old song as my song of the year. And besides, I listened to New Perspective for three months so it fits quite well. Lyrics-wise, I liked New Perspective better than ‘Til I Hear It From You as well. This year is about optimism, progression and having a new perspective for me so this song fits well in this category.

Other Notable Songs That I Forgot To Mention: The Beatles – With A Little Help From My Friends; Eraserheads – Sembreak; The Beatles – Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds; The Beatles – Dear Prudence; The Beatles – We Can Work It Out; Kris Allen – Heartless; The All-American Rejects – Gives You Hell; Muse – Plug In Baby; Bon Jovi – You Give Love A Bad Name; The Carpenters – I Won’t Last A Day Without You; Coldplay – The Scientist; Death Cab For Cutie – The Sound of Settling; Death Cab For Cutie – Crooked Teeth; The Fray – You Found Me; Gin Blossoms – Follow You Down (Acoustic); Katy Perry – Hot N’ Cold; New Radicals – You Get What You Give; Paramore – Stuck On You; Snow Patrol – Planets Bend Between Us; Vampire Weekend – Oxford Comma; Paramore - Brighter; Paramore -Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment