Monday, September 28, 2009

Eargasm

Note: This is an old post from my Multiply site last April 27, 2009.

OK, before you go laughing at this seems-to-be-invented word because it sounds gross, I would have to define it for you (Wow, Jeff! This is the first time you had a straightforward introduction without the usual blabber). Based from Urban Dictionary.com, eargasm is defined as (n) the sensation one gets while hearing a dramatic climax in music. I actually used a similar but self-invented term - musical orgasm - in some of my journal entries before.

I am writing about eargasm because aside from indulging myself on the NBA Playoffs these days, I am also enthusiastic on listening to music. For roughly 50% of my day, I am listening to music especially after I had my iPod Touch a.k.a “Stress Releaser on the terrible traffic nowadays”. I may have ranted when American Idol gave the boot to Alexis Grace the past month but I am still watching the show up to now. I even spend two hours per weekend attaching album artworks to my songs even though I will seldom listen and look at most of them (I just finished artist names starting with the letter C... one more decade to go to finish my whole library). I still allot some of my brain memory to store my favorite songs per month so that I can continue blogging “No Music, No Life Version 2009”

Weeks ago, Simon Cowell gave Adam Lambert the former’s first ever standing ovation after the latter sang Mad World. Such instances mean that the performance was remarkably special. The song was awesome but I am uncertain if it merits such whoa! moment. Perhaps if Simon did it on David Cook’s rendition of Always Be My Baby last year, it would be fine. Nevertheless, the idea that popped up in my mind was, Simon just had an eargasm. It struck me because I just realized that I seldom experience eargasm.

I normally experience this musical orgasm during my younger years when I attend gigs and the bands indulge me into a harmonious solo act. I usually applaud when I hear such. The lead guitar usually does the trick but upon my recent reflection, there are some songs that do not necessarily exhibit solo lead acts to put me into the dramatic climax. My current music library is filled with 2,534 songs so there is quite a bunch but here are some songs that made me experience nirvana.

I originally listed 59 songs (I still missed some songs from that) but since it will take me a century to write about all of it, I just handpicked 25 items to discuss.

(In alphabetical order by artist)

The Beatles – Across The Universe. Jai Guru Dei Vaum… Paul McCartney’s vocals in this song simply caress my senses. There is no exact defining moment but the whole song gives me mild eargasms.

Coldplay – Yellow. The harmonious intro of guitar riffs in this song gave me ecstasy back in high school.

The Cure – Just Like Heaven. Just like Across The Universe, this whole song gives me nirvana. Match it with the superb lyrics, this elegant keyboard-driven song made me ecstatic despite my sad night shifts on Christmas day 2006.

Dashboard Confessional – Vindicated. The powerful intro of this song reminds me of Coldplay’s Yellow. It also had the emo feeling that made me feel the song when I was so into it.

Death Cab For Cutie – I Will Possess Your Heart. The prolonged intro is simply fantastic for this song. It makes me appreciate the combinations of the instruments. Let’s add the mesmerizing vocals. I love the simplistic bass of this song as well.

Dream Theater – As I Am. Dream Theater songs = Eargasmic Songs. They are so technical and adept in instruments that I go in minutes of nirvana while listening to them.

Dream Theater – Metropolis. I am just re-emphasizing this band’s awesomeness.

Eraserheads – Alapaap. The E-Heads are not known to give my eargasmic tunes as they are more subtle like The Beatles. Nevertheless, this song makes me high as its lyrics and sound goes. Nice falsetto by Ely Buendia as well.

Fall Out Boy – I’ve Got All This Ringing In My Ears And None On My Fingers. The ultimate falsetto song by Patrick Stump. He reaches long and high notes in the song and makes me remember why FOB is special. The remark at the end of the song is something I find hard to take heed – “Don’t press repeat.”

Funeral For A Friend – Juneau (Acoustic). This has got to be one of the most beautiful emo songs I have ever listened to. Although I seldom listen to this genre these days, I cannot deny how emotionally moving the vocals and guitars this song brings to the table. Eargasm is pretty much spread out the whole song because it is not a powerful song.

Green Day – Time Of Your Life (Good Riddance). Another song that has doses of eargasm spread into it (multiple eargasm song) because the acoustic guitar and vocals combine in a subtle but beautiful way.

Imago – Taning. Female vocals + hard guitar riffs = Very High Chance of Eargasm taking place. Why? Aia’s vocals reach high notes while the guitar instruments add to the ecstatic mood. Total ecstasy.

Imago – Idlip. This is the most beautiful Imago song due to the clear-cut and smooth vocals that make this song heavenly to the ears. There really is a charm that female vocalists bring to my ears.

Jason Mraz – The Remedy. I really hated pop music during the days when this song came out but it always leaves me a guilty pleasure to listen to it. Unlike Maroon 5 which thrives by making catchy songs, this song is catchy and eargasmic at the same time because of the mood of the whole song.

Jimmy Eat World – 23. The very best JEW song. It is emotionally saddening and uplifting at the same time. The mood of the whole song is perfect. The guitar solo lead is clear and dreamy that plucks on high notes that make me feel the emotions of the song further.

Jimmy Eat World – Kill. When you are on emo mode, being sad and releasing your feelings are your nirvana. This song pretty much brings it out with beautifully written oh-so-true lyrics that puts you into soothing melancholy. I stay away of emo songs in the present time but I can still listen to this timeless piece because it is simply beautiful all throughout.

Led Zeppelin – Kashmir. Adrenaline-pumping ‘70s classic in which the background sounds give me timeless eargasms.

My Chemical Romance – Disenchanted. Another emo song again?! The beauty of emo songs is its ability to generate eargasm because you will feel the emotions with the instruments as the vocals reach high climactic notes. However, this song is more of a whole package than of high climactic moments. It has great stanzas that make it awesome in various parts.

Any Paramore song. Seriously. Hot chick with amazing vocals combined with hard-hitting sounds does the trick to me. Hayley Williams knows how to hit my soft spot in music. She’s got great command of pitch and she hits the high notes amazingly as the heavy riffs contrast it in the background. By the way, Hayley on acoustic is heavenly. She’s got soul! (Most Notable Songs: Pressure, Hallelujah, That’s What You Get, My Heart)

Rage Against The Machine – People Of The Sun. Rap-Metal awesomeness! I usually hate rap songs but Zack de la Rocha’s vocals blend well with the hard-hitting sounds of this song. Add to that the ever-eargasmic sounds that Tom Morello’s guitar produces.

Rivermaya – 214. Lovely intro and brilliant chorus. This is truly captivating. But of course, it should be Bamboo on the vocals. He has the best male Pinoy vocals.

Sandwich – Cheese Factor Set To 9. The song is mostly adrenaline-pumping but the intro hits my senses the most.

The Smashing Pumpkins – 1979. Here is another song that I loved not because of its climactic moment. The strumming sounds are just beautifully done in this song that it makes me feel that I am a child again. It is just so distinct that it makes me remember the ‘90s and of course, the subtle nature of the stanzas make it relaxing and carefree.

The Smashing Pumpkins – Drown. I have been listening to this song for years but it hit me when I was already working as the original, lengthy album version was played in NU 107. The ending is superb as it sums up the Smashing Pumpkin experience (the early days that is) of artistic instrumental sounds. Their sound gives a euphoric flavor that is why they are still the greatest band ever for me. Pretty ironic for someone who likes listening to vocalists belting the high notes.

Weezer – Perfect Situation. Both the song and the music video gives me nirvana as Elisha Cuthbert stars in its music video as the hot “ex-vocalist” of the band. This is actually a sad song and the lyrics are great but the climax is the intro for me.

The Who – Baba O’Riley. I used to know this song as Teenage Wasteland. This timeless 1970’s rock classic which is still used as CSI’s theme song. The instrumental sounds are just awesome as it is artistic, modern and ecstatic at the same time. The great balance of the instruments is also remarkable. No wonder it was used in The School of Rock as the initial song to motivate the kids of the beauty and harmony of band music.

Even if vocals are usually the front act, the instruments or its combination with vocals make me euphoric the most. I also observe that I do not experience nirvana on some of the songs that I also like. Normally, it needs a strong climax or has great harmony.

At the end of the day, no music, no life.

No comments:

Post a Comment