Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Tribute to the Blue Eagles of Season 69

Note: This is an old post from my Multiply site last October 3, 2009.

Puso! Ateneo! PUSO! Ano ba?!” I was cheering loudly; my throat hurting badly; and my heart weeping sadly. Frustrations were starting to get the best of me. As the King Eagle fell due to cramps, the scene was simply a disaster – we were losing to our bitter archrivals because no one was simply fighting back. I never realized that it would happen to me, but I hardly could lift my hands to sing the Alma Mater song because I felt as if I should not cheer for the seemingly heartless players who appeared to not fight for school pride.

That was the catastrophic scene of Season ’68 when the Blue Eagles got swept by the Green Archers.

Nevertheless, I sung our Alma Mater song then – for the school, not for the players. I just could not bear to look at their faces then. I was even having doubts of watching the Blue Eagles of Season ’69 because it would be led by the players who choked at their last battle in 2005. I could still remember some of the Ateneo alumni remarking in disgust that we should just get homegrown talent for collegiate basketball because at least they know what school spirit means and they will fight up to the very end – win or lose.

I was such a stupid believer.

June 30, 2006. I was watching the Ateneo Legends versus the Ateneo Blue Eagles at the Blue Eagle Gym. I could care less then because of my aforementioned statement and there would be no La Salle squad we would love to beat. I was just watching for the sake of spending my time. I knew then that the Ateneo Blue Eagles still need more training. Everyone was still raw after the last superstar of the 2002 championship batch bid the team goodbye. When I watched the exhibition game, I noticed how poor Ateneo’s offense was. They were still relying at the main man, JC Intal, to deliver the offense. They might have beaten the Legends but it was not that convincing for me then.

Again, I was wrong.

The Ateneo Blue Eagles started Season ’69 struggling as they barely slipped past the NU Bulldogs in the opening game. However, they were winning – slowly but surely. At first, I could not believe it because most of the players barely scored consistently the past season. I was starting to work then so I did not have time to watch the UAAP games at home. But when I watched Ateneo’s first round game against UE, I was simply amazed. This season’s team may not have been that good in paper and in my expectations at the start of the year but they surely know how to win. It simply erased all the negative memory I had of them the previous year. I saw in them what I have not been seeing ever since we last won the crown – teamwork. They were executing it in unbelievable fashion. From the no-offense squad of Season ’68, they transformed into a well-oiled basketball machine. Everyone was stepping up. When they dominated the Growling Tigers at the end of the elimination round, I was at high hopes that they will win the championship. They simply have the ‘IT’ factor to win it.

They instantly turned me into a strong believer again.

Why? They were the dream team I have been wishing to see for years. Teamwork is the name of their game. Maturity and composure are flowing in their veins. Everyone can be a threat. That was what I wanted to see – a team without any superstar but nevertheless they all fly high.

I was amazed of the fact that various players have rise to the occasion. Unexpectedly, the team was winning without much reliance to the King Eagle. Names like Chris Tiu, Rabeh Al-Hussaini, and Eric Salamat were filling the list of Breakout Player as each game passed by. The Ateneo Blue Eagles were simply dangerous as they were so much unpredictable.

Gone were the days when we used to laugh at the players. I must admit that it was mean but my friends and I could not help but make folly of team’s backup players then because all they did best was fumble the ball. JC Intal, Macky Escalona, and Doug Kramer may have been the late bloomers because they were overshadowed by the cast of Season ’65, but their five solid years of experience have molded them into great leaders of the flock. Man, to think of it, I have seen these guys grow through the past five years. They were the babies of Ateneo’s most recent championship. They struggled as backup players as Joel Banal relied on his Fab Four at Season ’66. They showed flashes of brilliance and potential after two years of being shunned from the spotlight. They were victimized by the overwhelming atmosphere of the La Salle team and crowd. And now, they are being good kuyas to the younger Eagles as they are showing unselfish leadership. JC Intal was not anymore the frustrated Blue Eagle who the Green Archers loved to taunt. He was oozing with passion for the game and he is more focused than ever to win. Macky Escalona has grown from the days when Mike Cortez was running circles around him. He has lived up to be the team tactician as his well-executed plays have been the backbone of the Ateneo’s teamwork. I could still remember the days when he was my English blockmate – I could not visualize him to be a star as my friends were talking of who will be the star when we graduate from college. And of course, how can I forget? Doug Kramer. He was Mr. Butterfinger for the most of his early seasons in UAAP. My friends jokingly said that he was put into the team because of his commercial face value. Well, who is on the laughing end now? Doug Kramer has silenced his critics in the past two years as he has become a strong scorer and rebounder inside. He has matured as he was Ateneo’s fort in their campaign to be the league leader in the eliminations round. He recently put the icing on the cake of his basketball career with his brilliant Game 1 winning shot.

The story behind the Blue Eagles’ success does not end with the three team captains. It is an Ateneo TEAM this year, right? The rookies and backups of the past seasons have started to blossom. Chris Tiu has erased all of the dreadful memories of his infamous missed layup against La Salle. He is not anymore the three-points-a-game kind of player. Mr. Master Eskinol has evolved into the X-Factor. The Blue Eagles would not have become the # 1 team in the eliminations had it not been because of this guy. He is not anymore scared to take shots and as a result, he has been the deadliest sharpshooter behind the arc. Rabeh Al-Hussaini, last year’s project, has shown his potential. Thanks to Coach Norman Black for giving him the break; he has become a sufficient force inside. Even Claiford Arao and Martin Quimson who some thought to be the ‘foulers’ were delivering – inside, jumpshots and cold-blooded free throws. Jai Reyes continues to live up to be the outstanding player of his batch. Even newcomers Eric Salamat and Eman Monfort have shown their potentials this early.

It was my kind of dream team indeed. For years, it has just been this year when I felt so much confident when watching the Blue Eagles. They fortunately breezed through the last games of the eliminations round despite of two losses which prevented the imminent sweep. They beat the Adamson Falcons despite of Ken Bono’s MVP performance and waited for their opponents in the Finals.

Then came the UST Growling Tigers. This squad was so much different from the bunch of cats the Blue Eagles clawed out in the last game of the first round of eliminations. This school was much hungrier. They play with teamwork, composure, and passion – almost the same as the Ateneo team plays. Lastly, the most dangerous thing about them was that they were peaking at the right time.

Too bad, Ateneo has already reached its peak somewhere before. The players, however, still want to win it. I was just frustrated in Game 1 when the Sixth Man that we were proud of got beaten by UST’s overwhelming cheers. Nevertheless, the Blue Eagles escaped the first game with a win, which best summarizes their end game bouts during the season. It was then when I felt so much proud of my school’s basketball team. It was because this year featured a fighting team. They have the heart and they can deliver. They make us, the fans, shout with all our hearts, “ONE BIG FIGHT!”

However, fate was not on our side. UST beat Ateneo convincingly in the second game and overcame the odds despite of being down by four in the ending minute of the last game to win the crown. It was a bit disheartening to see Ateneo’s wonderful season end with a loss. Furthermore, it was the King Eagle, JC Intal, who missed the winning baskets both in the regulation and in the overtime.

It’s sad. But I guess, some things are not meant to be. That’s life. It might have not been God’s will for us to win – we do not know. Halos sureball na noong simula, nasilat pa. But that’s how things turn out to be. As I watch the Growling Tigers rejoice as the ending buzzer sounded, I felt something – no, not depression or sadness (we did not lose to La Salle, anyway). Instead, I felt glad, thankful, and glorified. We may have lost the championship but deep in my heart the Ateneo Blue Eagles were the champions. They were the champions for me because they fought up to the end. They did not lose heart. They showcased what I wanted the team to be up to the very last second. Win or lose, it does not matter…what matters is to uphold the school spirit.

The loss was not actually a shame for me. It should not be a shame to all of us, Ateneans. Our team fought up to the end, but were just not meant to win it. I do not even blame JC Intal for missing those crucial layups. He is the team’s main man. You live and die through your main man. It would have been also nice if he made the extra pass for the win just like when Michael Jordan depended on Steve Kerr for the winning shot before. But still, I believe that the King Eagle should carry the team through the best and worst times. Too bad, his shot did not come in.

Again, some things are not meant to be.

But even though we lost, I am still proud of the Blue Eagles. They made me prouder of my school. You guys made me proud as I cheer ‘Go Ateneo!’ at the end of Game 3 despite of the overwhelming UST crowd. Animo Ateneo! One big fight!

I still believe. From now on, I will always believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment