Monday, September 28, 2009

No Music, No Life 2K8

Note: This is an old post from my Multiply site last December 24, 2008.

Here we are again on this end-of-year recognition of my most listened to tracks of the year. Times have passed by quickly. I already have three editions of this so I can finally say that this is a yearly tradition.

The year 2007 was superb when it came to newly produced albums. I was blessed in having new albums of Jimmy Eat World, Smashing Pumpkins, The Used, The Killers, and Fall Out Boy. Thus, I had lots of months then with multiple favorite songs. Was the song appreciation last year matched this year? Hmmm... Let’s just say that 2008 was one of my best years ever. I am really lucky with the number 8. Er, we are talking of music in 2008 here, Jeff. As much as loved the year 2008, I must say that it lacked new albums that I appreciated. My album of the year was even produced the past year. Nevertheless, my year’s music story is still eventful. This year had a different flavor than last year. Shown below is this year’s list. Of course, we will start with December of last year.

December 2007: John Lennon – Happy Christmas. “So this is Christmas. And what have you done?” This John Lennon classic was played again in the airwaves on Christmas 2007. We even performed this in the HP EAO Christmas Party. It was not that memorable due to my bloopers but I still liked this song. I was playing it in acoustic guitar in Christmas morning of last year. The way the song was sung and played gives a special feeling of 70s to 80s Christmas during the Cold War.
Honorable Mention: Paramore – Misery Business. It was last year when I decided to listen to Paramore after hearing them various times in NU 107. What enticed me to listen to this hot song was when I heard their acoustic version of it at the radio.

January 2008: Paramore – Pressure / Paramore – Hallelujah. Welcome to the month of Paramore. After I found out that Hayley Williams is so pretty and the whole band was talented, I started viewing them in Youtube. If their original songs rocked, then the live ones were legend...wait for it...dary! Actually, their acoustic sets were also awesome. You can hear Hayley’s angelic voice matched by the gentle acoustic guitar sounds. This is more emphasized in Hallelujah where I was fully amazed at how high she could sing. This feel-good song made me happy to start the year off. Hard rocking band plus a chic singing in high pitch is always my thing (i.e., Imago). This is perfectly shown in Paramore’s Pressure. I actually did not mind the lyrics that much but the combination of excellent vocals, lead guitars and drums just made me crave for it every now and then. Maybe it is because every part of the song seems right and Hayley in the music video looks so pretty. Redheads rock!

February 2008: Paramore – That’s What You Get / Foo Fighters – Learn to Fly. Before Paramore’s That’s What You Get hit the airwaves, I was already loving it. Its lyrics were simple yet so true. I was able to relate to it because after years of heartache, I have realized that you lose your arguments or you did the wrong thing if you decided using your heart. Your brain should control your extremely passionate heart. But at the end of the day, despite the fact that you followed your brain, you still feel deprived because as Hayley says, “If I ever start to think straight, this heart will start a riot in me.” Foo Fighters’ Learn to Fly, which is almost a decade old, was also special to me this year. It was actually the song I was listening to when Caress became my girlfriend. It was an uplifting song that gives a similar effect to The Used’s The Taste of Ink. “I’m looking to the sky to save me | Looking for a sign of life | Looking for something to help me burn out bright.” Doesn’t it feel good? This was also the same song I was listening to before I boarded to US last month (since I was unsure if I can get out of the airport). Even the upbeat instrumental music of this song makes you feel victorious.

March 2008: Panic! At The Disco – Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Do Without Taking Her Clothes Off. Ever since I started listening to Maroon 5’s Makes Me Wonder, I get to listen to a sexy and mesmerizing song – that is to the girls. Of course, I prefer singing this song rather than listening to it. And yeah, Makes Me Wonder is not actually a sexy and mesmerizing song but this Oh-So-Long-Title-We-Appear-Like-Fall-Out-Boy-Rip-Offs of Panic! At The Disco is. The song’s upbeat and catchy tunes make me want to dance every time I hear it.
Honorable Mention: Beatles – Across the Universe. Guess why. The movie, of course!

April 2008: Beatles – In My Life. It was hard to choose my song of the month last April because I was listening to various videoke/classic songs such as Ever Since the World Began, The Search is Over, Come Together, and other Beatles songs. Nevertheless, In My Life stood out due to its simple lyrics.

May 2008: Snow Patrol – Chasing Cars. For two straight years, Snow Patrol owns the month of May. It was the month I finally finished the second season of Grey’s Anatomy. Its season finale is arguably the best season finale I have ever watched as their different stories ended with some conclusions. Meredith and Derrick followed their heart. Izzy’s dream husband, Denny, died of heart issues. Cristina and Preston fixed their relationship issues. One song was playing with perfect conjunction with the season finale’s incidents. Very lovely indeed.
Honorable Mention: David Cook – Always Be My Baby. If there was one song that made me root for David Cook in American Idol, that would have to be this song. He transformed the bubbly Mariah Carey song into his own. I was exclaiming, “GG. It’s over!” after I heard it in my TV.

June 2008: Death Cab For Cutie – I Will Possess Your Heart. If there is a song that would rival Paramore’s Pressure in the top spot for this year, that would have to be this masterpiece by Death Cab for Cutie. The bass intro is awesome with the matching keyboard sounds. I don’t know why Caress prefers the radio edited version of this song where the long intro was cut. It should never be cut because its progression is awesome. By the time the lyrics start, the abrupt stop of the instrumental sounds make it a legen....wait for it...dary moment. The repetitions in the background music coupled by the clear, hypnotic vocals make this song excellent. I was able to listen to Jam 88.3’s daily countdown because of this song as it stayed in Number 1 for a long time.

July 2008: Weezer – Pork and Beans. “Imma do the things that I wanna do. I ain’t got a thing to prove to you. I’ll eat my candy with the pork and beans. Excuse my manners if I make a scene. I ain’t gonna wear the clothes that you like. I’m finally dandy with the me inside... I don’t give a hoot about what you think!” This is for everyone who do not give a damn if they are socially accepted. You can put a picture of Stone Cold Steve Austin with the two middle fingers raised up while listening to this song. Its upbeat tone makes it cool. This song can be summarized in two sentences. I don’t care if I belong. I just want to be myself.

August 2008: Maroon 5 Feat. Rihanna – If I Never See Your Face Again. Here we have the nth upbeat song of the year. Jeff, you are selling out. Forget about that. This song is way too catchy that it puts my energy at a high level. Of course, we all know that Rihanna’s voice is one of the catchiest voices in this universe. Add that to Maroon 5’s sounds and you have my most upbeat, catchy song that will make me feel like dancing once I hear it. I have listened to the song’s version minus Rihanna and it paled in comparison. Nice tandem for these musicians.

September 2008: Gary Glitter – Rock and Roll Part 2. It’s game time, baby! Ateneo’s Men’s Basketball Team was rocking and rolling on September 2008 when they just bulldozed everyone on their way to the championship crown. Whenever Ateneo wins, the Blue Babble Band performs this piece and it never fails to increase my energy. After weeks of searching for it, I got the song before Ateneo achieved its 2008 championship. How fitting was it to play this song then.

October 2008: Plain White T’s – Natural Disaster. Who says that Plain White T’s is just known for Hey There Delilah? We have another upbeat rock song in here. I do not know why I did not get tired of it. Nevertheless, I enjoyed listening to it while playing DotA.

November 2008: Paramore – Decode. Like Jimmy Eat World last year, Paramore ended the year with a blast making them my favourite artists of the year. Decode might not be their best song but it is decent enough to make me listen to it while I was in Costa Rica. It is not the typical upbeat Paramore song either but I am already used to this kind of Paramore song as I have their two albums before. Nice effort for Hayley and gang.
Honorable Mention: Rihanna – Disturbia. Yes, I sold out this far. It’s catchy and upbeat. That has been the tone of the year.

Song of the Year: Paramore – Pressure
Honorable Mention: Death Cab for Cutie – I Will Possess Your Heart

Band of the Year: Paramore

Album of the Year: Paramore – Riot

Yes, I have gone a bit mainstream this year. We can perhaps attribute this to the girlfriend effect or it is because I just want to be happy and lively. You will also notice that I have no emo songs in the list. It was quite a change from the highly emotional 2007. No music, no life. Music pretty much reflects my life. It is because I get to relate with the songs I listen to. Not all the time (i.e., I did not relate to Paramore’s Pressure but I still liked it), but a lot of the songs I listen to sets my mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment