Saturday, September 26, 2009

Music and Quotes

Note: This is an old post from my Multiply site last January 15, 2008.

Time flies fast. It is mid January already whereas it seemed that it was just Christmas day days ago. I guess that is how things go if you are having fun. Well, I did not exactly have that much fun recently but for what it’s worth, I was satisfied. New Year’s resolutions in check and best of all was, I am trying my best not to get stressed. The reason for it? Music, movies and Heroes! Thus, I shall write about my rants and raves on music and on the remarkable quotes taken from the shows that I have recently watched.

Secret Lover

Paramour means ‘secret lover’. It rhymes well with my new favorite band – Paramore. I do not know if they intended it that way but it fits quite well with their song Misery Business. I do not think that the band intended to be associated with the word paramour as they chose to use paramour instead of the former. It was actually about the middle name of one their band members. Forget about the origin of the name. This band is way too fantastic that they can make a new term out of their band name. Add Hayley Williams’ charisma. The redhead punk chic rocks hard and she sings strong. Hallelujah and Pressure have been my favorites recently but I will always find time listening to the bad ass song Misery Business as it is too addictive. Yes, I am not exaggerating or using the wrong words here. It is as addictive as the food you crave for. It is just midway of January but they have already earned my ‘band of the month’ award as I can bear to hear them for hours – repeatedly – repeatedly – repeatedly. Great guitar riffs. Powerful voice. Pretty face. Enough said. I suddenly become Hayley Williams’ secret lover.

Too Much is Enough

It has been quite frustrating to listen to NU 107.5 recently. They have been overplaying 6 Cycle Mind’s Nagsasaya. Yes, folks. They are playing it every hour for more than a month. I know that they have a tie-up thing with Tanduay and the latter happens to be a sponsor but playing a song every hour is quite overkill. I wished they had a bit of variation of the 6 Cycle Mind tunes but they don’t do it. I switch stations (usually to Jam 88.3) as soon as I hear the very common guitar riffs. Man, that song is even a B-song as I don’t see anything special in it. Sheesh…

The Art of Being Creepy

Kudos to Stephen King! That guy would always be one of my favorite writers. He does not rank up with George R.R. Martin, Neil Gaiman or Jostein Gaarder but that dude simply kicks ass when he starts to put in some imagination in his writings. I just watched 1408 recently and all I can say is, Stephen King has got an excellent weird taste. He can turn the simple things creepy. Even the simple Carpenters song We’ve Only Just Begun made me shiver when it was played in that movie. How the hell did he think of that?! The simple classic song has become scarier than any heavy metal anti-Christ song. Although, I think Gregorian Chants are still creepier. I can’t even watch the video of We’ve Only Just Begun because the fact that Karen Carpenter is deceased makes it more eerie.

Top Videoke Songs
I have been singing in videoke bars during our officemates’ despedidas for quite a lot of time. Thus, I have my list of songs that I have been my favorites.
* Mr. Big – To Be With You
* The Beatles – Here Comes The Sun
* Oasis – Champagne Supernova
* America – Inspector Mills
* Oasis – Wonderwall
* Fall Out Boy – Sugar We’re Going Down
* Third Eye Blind – Semi-Charmed Life

Quotable Quotes

Mike Enslin: It's not that what I'm seeing is not real. It just ain't as real as it seems.
- taken from 1408

Pete: Do you ever wonder how somebody could even like you? The biggest problem in our marriage is that she wants me around. And I can't even accept that? I don't think I can accept pure love.
-taken from Knocked Up

Seth: Why the FUCK would it be between THAT or Muhammed? Why don't you just pick a common name like a normal person?
Fogell: Muhammed is the most commonly used name on Earth. Read a fucking book for once.
Evan: Fogell, have you actually ever met anyone named Muhammed?
Fogell: Have YOU actually ever met anyone named McLovin?
Seth: No, that's why you picked a dumb fucking name!
Fogell: Fuck you.
Seth: Gimme that. All right, you look like a future pedophile in this picture, number 1. Number 2: it doesn't even have a first name, it just says "McLovin"!
Evan: What? One name? ONE NAME? Who are you? Seal?
Seth: Fogell, this ID says that you're 25 years old. Why wouldn't you just put 21, man?
Fogell: Seth, Seth, Seth. Listen up, ass-face: every day, hundreds of kids go into the liquor store with fake IDs, and every single one says they're 21. Pssh, how many 21 year olds do you think there are in this town? It's called fucking strategy, all right?
-taken from Superbad

God: Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If he prayed for courage, does God give him courage, or does he give him opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for the family to be closer, do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings, or does he give them opportunities to love each other?
-taken from Evan Almighty

God: How do we change the world?
Evan Baxter: One single act of random kindness at a time.
-taken from Evan Almighty

Bruce: How do you make so many people love you without affecting Free Will?
God: [snorts] Heh, welcome to my world, son. If you come up with an answer to that one, let me know.
-taken from Bruce Almighty

God: Grace. You want her back?
Bruce: No. I want her to be happy, no matter what that means. I want her to find someone who will treat her with all the love she deserved from me. I want her to meet someone who will see her always as I do now, through Your eyes.
God: Now THAT'S a prayer.
-taken from Bruce Almighty

Claire Bennet: And everyone else will be dead… How can you do nothing to stop this?!
Angela Petrelli: It is inevitable dear. There’s nothing anyone can do about it.
Claire Bennet (to Angela and Nathan Petrelli): "That’s insane! Nothing is inevitable. The future is not written in stone!
-taken from Heroes

Charles Deveaux: You came here because you needed to. You needed to hear the truth before you could save the world.
Charles Deveaux: I save the world?
Charles Deveaux: You've had the power all along, Peter. You just needed to learn how to use it.
Peter Petrelli: Why me?
Charles Deveaux: Because there has to be one that's good. There always has. And your heart has the ability to love unconditionally. Like I told you, in the end, all that really matters is love.
-taken from Heroes

Charles Deveaux (to Angela Petrelli): I look in Peter’s eyes and I see compassion, empathy. But most of all, I see is hope. This world won’t be saved on strength. What it needs is love and that is Peter.
-taken from Heroes

Kay Eiffel: As Harold took a bite of Bavarian sugar cookie, he finally felt as if everything was going to be ok. Sometimes, when we lose ourselves in fear and despair, in routine and constancy, in hopelessness and tragedy, we can thank God for Bavarian sugar cookies. And, fortunately, when there aren't any cookies, we can still find reassurance in a familiar hand on our skin, or a kind and loving gesture, or subtle encouragement, or a loving embrace, or an offer of comfort, not to mention hospital gurneys and nose plugs, an uneaten Danish, soft-spoken secrets, and Fender Stratocasters, and maybe the occasional piece of fiction. And we must remember that all these things, the nuances, the anomalies, the subtleties, which we assume only accessorize our days, are effective for a much larger and nobler cause. They are here to save our lives. I know the idea seems strange, but I also know that it just so happens to be true. And, so it was, a wristwatch saved Harold Crick.
-taken from Stranger Than Fiction

Dr. Jules Hilbert: Because he's real?
Kay Eiffel: Because it's a book about a man who doesn't know he's about to die. And then dies. But if a man does know he's about to die and dies anyway. Dies- dies willingly, knowing that he could stop it, then- I mean, isn't that the type of man who you want to keep alive?
-taken from Stranger Than Fiction

Special thanks to imdb.com for the quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment