Thursday, September 24, 2009

No Music, No Life (2006)

Note: This is an old post from my Multiply site last November 7, 2006.

No music, no life. It is the classic Tower Records slogan. It always brings back my high school memories where I hang out with my barkada in the Tower Records store at Glorietta. We spent our time listening to excellent music at the listening booths in there (mostly rock) that we could even end up as music critics. Those were the days when I was so updated when it comes to the music scene (in the genre that I like). It seemed that I always have a “Song of the Month” as each new great song has evoked a theme of feeling/emotion for me. But of course, the emotion that the song brings should be in line to what I currently feel. It just happens that as I relate to some of the songs, I get to be affected by its message in some sort of way. Yes, that is how influential music was for me.

Zoom in four to five years, and my love for music has not changed. I still get affected by songs (but songs do not dictate my feelings that much). I may be not that updated in the current music scene but there is always a “Song of the Month” for me. It may be a new song or a classic one, but either way, I have this tendency of over-repeating it in my media player. There are various reasons why I like a particular song. But for what it is, it always evokes something deep inside of me. Sometimes, it is because of how I relate my current life situation with it. There are times when the whole combination of its rhythms give me a sensual feeling. There are so many reasons that only the songs itself could explain why I get addicted to it for at least a whole month.

This year might not yet be over, but I will nevertheless post my play list of the year. You can interpret it anyway you want. I have to admit that some of these have been my favorites for certain months because I could really relate my current situation to the messages of the songs. However, there are really some songs that were just my favorites, because I simply liked them.

I should make this at the end of this year, but since I am an impulsive person who happens to forget things easily, I might as well do it right now. I will just start with December of last year so that it would take up twelve months.

December
Imago – Spoliarium

January
Eraserheads – Huwag Mo Nang Itanong

February
The Click Five – Just the Girl

March
Jimmy Eat World – Work

April
Eraserheads – Minsan
Mayonnaise – Bakit Part 2

May
Fall Out Boy – A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More Touch Me
Incubus – I Miss You

June
The Ataris – The Night The Lights Went Out In NYC

July
All-American Rejects – Dirty Little Secret
Itchyworms – Beer

August
The Who – Teenage Wasteland

September
The Cure – Friday I’m In Love
Goo Goo Dolls – Iris

October
Weezer – Perfect Situation

November
My Chemical Romance – Welcome To The Black Parade

I would not expound further on to why I chose to listen such songs during those months. The lyrics and the background music of these songs explain it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment