Monday, September 28, 2009

Hanging Out At MacLaren’s and Being Legend...wait for it...

Note: This is an old post from my Multiply site last January 22, 2009.

Warning: There are major spoilers in here so make sure you only read this if: a) you have watched all the episodes up to the present time, or b) you don’t have plans of watching How I Met Your Mother.

I ranked How I Met Your Mother as my third best TV show last year. However, I think that I might have underrated it. The matter of fact that I watched it in a quick pace due to my craving to watch all the episodes is remarkable. I finished all the episodes in just three months’ time despite the fact that I was limited to just watching Season 1 when I was in Costa Rica. Up to now, I still watch past episodes from time to time. My experience on it is similar or even better to what I have been experiencing when I first watched Lost. Thus, I should have ranked it as my best show.

You know one when you see one. When I watched Dark Knight, I knew that it is the best superhero movie I have ever watched. In this case, it is the same. I am blogging about it because I know it is special. It does not even need a hot chick for me to get motivated to watch it from time to time. Well, Robin Scherbatsky is a hot one but she’s not the primary reason why I watch it.

So, what does How I Met Your Mother have that makes it special?

At first, it does not appear to be that promising. The title is not even enticing to me. I was having extra doubts if I am going to watch it or not. But when I watched the initial episode, I just cannot stop myself from watching the whole thing.

How I Met Your Mother is a yuppie kind of TV show. It is about a man (Ted Mosby) in his late twenties who saw his roommate and bestfriend (sorry, Barney) marry his girlfriend. Because of that, it forced Ted on finding ‘The One’. The show featured him dating several girls. But it was not all about the dates – it was about his overall experience with his group of friends consisting of Marshall, Lily, Barney and Robin. They hang out with each other in a bar named MacLaren’s and they have various adventures like flying to Philadelphia just to hook up with chicks, searching for the tastiest burger in town, and living a day without knowing the final score of the Superbowl one day after the event occurred. To think of it, the show is special not because of the extraordinary adventures that they have. It is awesome because they turn normal life experiences into something noteworthy. There is an episode which is about Ted and Robin contemplating on why he missed a flight going to Chicago because of several reasons – Ted had to attend a court case because he was caught jumping the bar when he tried to help Barney who was stuck in the train due to leg problems which was caused by the marathon he finished because he had a bet with an injured Marshall who slipped in the bathroom because he saw a tired Robin who entered the bathroom. Apparently, Robin was tired because she spent the whole night staying with Lily lining up for a wedding dress sale which Robin saw because Ted and her bought food in celebration of the lucky penny that Ted found. Man, that was long and funny.

One would think that it is just like the sitcom Friends because it is about a group of friends hanging out in downtown New York. But for me, How I Met Your Mother is more hilarious due to its great and witty punchlines and its way of portraying the lifestyle of young professionals.

The Characters

It is a character-centered show. The acting of the characters made it worth watching. No one is boring so I will discuss all of them here.

Ted Mosby

If there is one character that I can relate most in the show, that has got to be Ted. I once was fixated on the thought of looking for the one girl I want to marry some day. I never considered casual relationships because I want to have a serious one where I can give it my all. I can also relate to the romantic and stupid Ted because if you really love a person, you will try your stupidest moves just to make her (or not make her) yours. I was laughing the hell out of my ass when Ted made three parties just to have Robin attend it. It was funny because he was madly in love with her that he wants to make the moves at her in the most casual way he could (a party) because she wants a casual relationship. It was funny because it is a real feeling if you like a girl to whom you do not want to show your real intentions.

Barney Stinson

He is Ted’s self-proclaimed bestfriend. He is also Ted’s guardian devil because he always persuades him to think of girls as one night stand people and not have feelings on them. Like it or not, he makes the show legend...wait for it...dary! His excellent moves on making the girls fall for him make the show interesting. He was able to fool a girl by acting like an old man from the future who tells the girl that she can save the world by having sex with his present form which will arrive in the bar in a matter of minutes. He is also a master of disguise as he tried to hook up with girls by being a blind guy in a museum, a gay to get a lesbian, or a foreigner in New York asking for directions on chicks. I can relate to him as well... from wearing formal clothes to gambling... man, this guy does not want to lose when he gambles even if it takes him to run almost the whole of New York. He is a racist who hates New Jersey and pokes fun at Canada and China. Yes, he is a bad guy in the show but he has a golden heart too when he convinced Lily to return and continue her relationship with Marshall. He even cancelled his conference with foreigners just to visit Ted after the latter had an accident. He also has the best punchlines in the show. And you know what, I am a Barney Stinson when I tried a How I Met Your Mother personality quiz.



Robin Scherbatsky

She is the Canadian hot lass in the show. She happens to be Ted’s ex-girlfriend. They were not meant to be because Ted is the romantic guy who wants to meet his wife while Robin prefers casual relationships and would rather travel her whole life. She is also Metro News 1 anchorwoman and was an ex-teen pop star. If they tease Ted as feminine then you can tease Robin as masculine because she likes guns and is not that mushy at all. They even called her Ice Queen once. Her father was in denial when he had a daughter instead of a son that was why he taught her to live like a male in her tender years. Nevertheless, Robin is still a sexy chick who will try to shave her legs just to have sex with a man she has the hots on.

Marshall Eriksen

If Ted is romantic, Marshall is softer. His world revolves around his wife, Lily Aldrin. No wonder Lily stayed with him for so long – Marshall knows how to make his gal happy with mushy lines and non-stop sex. He is a lawyer who dreams of changing the world and live up to his ideals. Unfortunately, he works with the company which are not earth-friendly. He primarily portrays a guy who gets his ideals shattered in the real world. They are not yet but he will soon realize that. That’s reality anyway. He cannot even stand being shout at in work. With a preschool teacher as his wife, he continues to be a dreamer in this corrupt world. Marshall is a wuss and all, but he knows how to connect with his wife that is why they have a relationship that everyone envies to have. Trust me, if you are in a relationship, you would like to emulate Marshall's relationship qualities to your significant other.

Lily Aldrin

She is Marshall’s wife and is a highly optimistic preschool teacher who drowned herself with debt due to her obsession with boots and signature brands. She is also the main reason why Marshall turned out to be a wuss, but it is OK as well because she is funny. She is a sex maniac like all the characters in the show. She is your anti-corporate image in the show because she is so idealistic and she lives in emotions. You won’t have a wealthy family if she’s your wife but you will surely be happy with her because she is for keepers. She is also a great friend especially when she tried to change Barney’s womanizer attitude. Just don’t tell her any of your secrets though.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment