Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Of Winning, Glory, and Believing

Note: This is an old post from my Multiply site last June 21, 2006.

Finally, the 2006 NBA Finals is over. The Miami Heat have overcame the odds by defeating the Dallas Mavericks 4-2. Even though I deeply rooted for the Heat, there were times (i.e., after Game 2 when the Miami Heat lost to the Dallas Mavericks putting the Mavs ahead 2-0) when I found it hard to believe that they would eventually win the series. I once laughed at my friend’s prediction that Miami will win in six games. He made that prediction after Game 3 but judging by the Heat’s performance then, it was merely impossible for them to sweep their two remaining home games and win another at Dallas where they were 0-3 for the whole season. I have been watching the NBA Finals ever since 1994 but I have not seen a team down 0-2 to win the Finals. Furthermore, Dallas, with its superior lineup, was dominating Miami then. Dwyane Wade was only the consistent flame of hope of Miami whereas Dallas has Dirk Nowirzki, Jerry Stackhouse, Jason Terry, Devin Harris, and Josh Howard. Shaquille O’ Neal was not even reaching the 20-point mark then (or even the 15-point mark), while Antoine Walker and Jason Williams were not that consistent. In Game 3 at home, the Miami Heat could not even pull off a convincing win despite of their improved field goal shooting. Miami Heat in six was a big joke then.

I guess I lacked faith then. Maybe, my current personal problems just made me a realistic pessimist. Believing in such highly improbable outcomes was not in my mind. Like I mentioned, it was a joke. But no matter how impossible it seemed, it still occurred. It might seem a miracle (or a disaster for Dallas fans) but it happened and there is no way of denying it.

I can still remember what Miami’s head coach, Pat Riley, said when they were being crowned as champions, “I have always been a believer”. Anyway, there is nothing wrong with believing. You believe, but you do not expect. After all, nothing is supposed to happen at all. It reminds me of the ending of the movie, Pleasantville. The main character’s mother was whining because of their problems. She was mentioning that they should have a better situation. But the main character responded by saying that he loves her for what she is now. Those experiences are part of life and what then, is supposed to happen? The movie ended with some characters asking each other, “what should happen?” They all responded with an “I don’t know.” Life, after all, is full of unexpected situations. These show us that there is still a chance no matter how bleak a situation is. The feat that the Miami Heat has achieved can fully attest to that.

For the nth time, I have to give kudos to Dwyane Wade. He was the man of this whole finals series. In just three years of playing in the NBA, he has already achieved a lot for his team. He has become the player who has the highest points in the first three postseasons. In Game 6, he continued to be spectacular. He was indeed a special player. The next Michael Jordan? Perhaps. He was even humble in saying that he could not be the next Michael Jordan because there will never be another Michael Jordan.

I am so glad seeing someone taking the game to another level. No matter how Dallas concentrated on defending Wade, his desire to win had always prevailed. I tell you, this kid’s really got heart. Such real stories as this make me inspired to live my life fuller.

NBA Season is over and I am still bumming. What’s next? Major League Baseball. Go Atlanta Braves! :p

No comments:

Post a Comment