Monday, September 28, 2009

The High Fives of 2008

Note: This is an old post from my Multiply site last December 31, 2008.

This year has been a special year for me. Thus, I will end it with my top five moments, favourites or what-have-you’s of the year. High five is actually a pun of Fantasy Insider’s (which was formerly called Fantasy Hoops) Low Five. Rick Kamla discusses his low fives every episode discussing whatever top fives he could think of – top five international players, top five waiver wire pickups, top five warriors of the week. Since 2008 was awesome, it should have ‘high’ instead of ‘low’. When you experience an awesome moment, you go for the high five just like what Barney Stinson in How I Met Your Mother normally does.

Now to my legend...wait for it...dary list.

Top Five Songs
1. Paramore – Pressure. Read http://jeffdelprado.multiply.com/journal/item/96/No_Music_No_Life_2K8 for more details. This song just rocked my world in 2008.
2. Death Cab for Cutie – I Will Possess Your Heart. Combine awesome bassline and clear-cut, narrative, hypnotic vocals and you have this song.
3. Snow Patrol – Chasing Cars. Nice romantic song. I like it when Snow Patrol plays their songs that would make you have high emotions.
4. Paramore – That’s What You Get. This adrenaline-pumping song turns me on with hard-heating guitar riffs and honest to goodness lyrics.
5. Maroon 5 Feat. Rihanna – If I Never See Your Face Again. Upbeat and catchy. But like most of the songs I listened to in 2008, it was not because of the lyrics.

Top Five Radio Stations
1. NU 107.5. Is this so expected? Actually, it’s not. Midway through the year, I was listening to Jam 88.3 for most of the year because NU 107 had faulty equipment. It was inevitable to listen to a song jumping every now and then that you would think that they are playing with it in a turntable. If not for DJ Monica’s awesome voice, George and Lia sizzling in University Rock (as if I could listen to them), I would have switched my favourite radio station this year.
2. Jam 88.3. When NU plays crappy music like the Tanduay-sponsored 6 Cycle Mind songs, I always turned to Jam 88.3. It was until I learned of The Breakfast Show. It was cool because the DJ’s had great chemistry. Ever since then, my radio station on mornings have always been tuned to Jam 88.3. They were also playing indie and rock songs that was why it fit my liking. Same playlist as NU’s (except that they don’t play hardcore ones like Slipknot and Slayer) but they don’t play the crappy songs. However, DJ Monica’s playlist trumps all so Jam 88.3 stays at Number 2.
3-5. Any radio station that does not have the uber-jolog lines “Kailangan pa bang i-memorize ‘yan?” , “May Ganun?” or “Panga”

Top Five Radio Shows
1. Jam 88.3’s The Breakfast Show. This has got to be one of the best radio shows I’ve listened to for a long time. DJ’s Hilary, Lambert and Migs. It was sad to see this show go. The DJ’s never had the flair they had when they were leading their shows individually. I’ll miss the shattering glass of Stone Cold in the background and the sounds they do whenever the caller gets the answer right. And of course, Today in History!
2. Any show with DJ Monica on it. Seriously. I love her mesmerizing bedroom voice. It’s a bit nasal and it’s great. It’s even sexier if she has colds. It did not matter if the show has content. Anyway, she plays the songs I like at a batting average of .300 to .400. That is amazing because most DJ’s just play the songs I like at a rate of two per 25 songs. Whether it be a request show or not, DJ Monica plays my favourite songs in succession. From Nirvana’s Smells Like Teen Spirit to Smashing Pumpkins’ 1979. She even plays Slipknot songs. Now that’s hardcore. She’s a certified rock chic.
3. NU 107’s University Rock. It’s George Rocha and Lia Cruz! These two hot ex-UAAP courtside reporters of La Salle and Ateneo host NU 107’s University Rock which features everything that is related to university life. Of course, I am not anymore in college but I still can relate to their topics. They also feature guests from Ateneo Blue Eagles from time to time.
4. NU 107’s Counterflow. This is the ultimate car talk show in radio in the Philippines. James Deakin and Pacho Blanco light up the show with witty comments on various car-related stuff. From engines to mufflers. From oils to LPG’s. From Formula One to stupid traffic rules. You will love the show even if you are not a car aficionado. As long as you drive a car or you know Formula One, you will get interested to it.
5. Jam 88.3’s Freestate Sound. This is DJ Hilary’s second show entry in the top five. She does this one solo flight this time. It’s not as awesome as the Hilary of The Breakfast Show but she is still good at it while she plays awesome new wave songs.

Top Five DJ’s (OK, I really need an iPod Touch. This traffic makes me listen to radio at least two hours a day)
1. DJ Monica. This rock chic with the bangs has one of the best voices I have ever heard. Yes, if I would like to hear someone’s voice (just plain voice... it does not even matter if there is content) during my time of death, that would be her sexy voice that sounds a bit British.
2. DJ Hilary. She is that gal that lightens up The Breakfast Show. Yes, she is cool with her witty lines despite being a bit elitist at times. We all know that some DJ’s have deceiving voices but just like DJ Monica, she is a bit cute for a DJ as well. I don’t care if she says Animo La Salle! (FYI, I think Monica also says that) either. Lumen’s sister is just awesome in conversational radio show talk because she’s hilarious and funny.
3-4. George Rocha and Lia Cruz. After being the best courtside reporters in UAAP before, they are now hosting NU 107’s University Rock. So far, so good even if they are giggling and talking in girly chika manner from time to time. Any show that will make me laugh is good enough. Metro Manila traffic is too much of a hassle that any funny moment in radio can at least ease my rising blood pressure.
5. James Deakin. Behold the only dude in the list. Yeah, I am biased because as far as I am concerned, the top four were all hot chics. But anyway, James Deakin is one of those excellent radio show hosts. He talks clearly and makes it to a point that every word that comes out of his mouth is interesting. He can convince me, a Ferrari fan, to think that the Formula One board is biased against McLaren.

Top Five Places I Want to Visit (there are a lot of places I’ve been to this year that’s why I am ranking the top five places I want to visit)
1. Paris, France. This is everybody’s favorite place to visit. Of course, I am exaggerating. But who cannot resist the Eiffel Tower and the portrait of Mona Lisa. This place is just extremely historical. I have loved studying world history before and I have always loved everything about Europe.
2. London, United Kingdom. London’s bridge is falling down. Haha. That was one of my favourite nursery rhymes then. But it’s not what I am after. I just want to go to the heart of England. After all, the British is my favorite country when I was reading world history. The place is filled with historical awesomeness.
3. Boston, USA. New England, baby! I want to see the richness of the architecture and history of one of America’s oldest cities. Boston is also the home of the Red Sox. I want to watch a baseball game and see the Green Monster in the left field in the oldest baseball stadium in MLB. Watching a game in TD Banknorth Garden and see the winningest basketball club – the Boston Celtics – would be awesome too. Their wooden basketball floors just look classic. Other than which, I want to be in the Athens of America. Harvard is just near. =P
4. New York, USA. After watching How I Met Your Mother, I am highly enticed to live in New York for at least a week. Just imagine the awesomeness you are going to get in the city that never sleeps. Well, it’s not all that good but New York just portrays the lifestyle I want – city lifestyle.
5. Beijing, China. Let’s go to Asia. I must admit that Chinese history was not as interesting as European history is but it has got to be better than any other Asian history due to the fact that they had dynasties, they had the Great Wall set up to prevent the Mongolian barbarians from entering the country. But after I had some dose of Chinese culture and architecture in Hong Kong early this year, I would not mind going to the capital city of the world’s most populous country.

Top Five States in USA I Want to Visit (Yes, I want to stay in USA for quite some time because I like the culture in there.)
1. Boston, Massachusetts
2. New York, New York
3. San Francisco, California. I want to see the fog in the city and experience the cool weather. There are various places I want to go to like the AT&T ballpark which is situated near a body of water. Going to the Golden Gate Bridge and Chinatown would also be on the list.
4. Los Angeles, California. Tell me, why is LaLa Land only on the fourth spot? Let’s just say I want to experience some part of US first before I visit this place. Nevertheless, I would still want to go here because this is an entertainment center. And of course, my relatives are in here.
5. Las Vegas, Nevada. If I am talking of entertainment, then I must go to Las Vegas. Ideal place for a counter, er, gambler like me. Actually, just seeing the city lights in here is awesome.

Top Five Places I Went To (in chronological order. I can’t rank them because of the differing culture or I just do not want to show my biases)
1. Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte
2. Hong Kong
3. Macau
4. Costa Rica
5. USA

Top Five Computer Games
1. NBA 2K8 (Xbox 360). NBA Live used to rule my console play. However, that was a decade ago. It is 2K time and NBA 2K8 has delivered a revolutionary change on basketball gameplay. The players accurately look and act as how they are. Their shooting strokes are the same; their tattoos are the same. NBA 2K8 encourages you to play more defense because the offensive touch that I was accustomed to in NBA Live is not in there. It is more realistic as they say. Even the fans are like true fans. They do not look like cardboard circles of different colors. If they could just add a better feel during NBA championships or playoffs, it would be legend...wait for it...dary!
2. Bioshock (Xbox 360). I am not really into first person shooter games because I normally get dizzy with the rapid screen changes but Bioshock made me play lots of hours (and enduring dizziness). Its gameplay is unique because you either get to have guns or superhero powers. Yes, you can perform telekinesis or freeze your opponents. The story is also great and memorable. The eerie feeling in the background just adds to the suspense. No wonder this is one of the top games of 2007.
3. Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Xbox 360). Playing a role-playing game with a large roster of Marvel superheroes is simply awesome. You can build a team of Ironman, Wolverine, Spiderman and Captain America. You can build a femme fatale team of the Invisible Woman, Storm, and Elektra. Their ultimate moves are awesome as well. For a year like 2008 where superheroes rule, this game is very appropriate.
4. Defense of the Ancients (PC). DotA just does not die. Year in and year out, I get addicted to this game. Their ever-changing game tweaks always make aficionados get interested. I cannot put this into top game though because the gameplay is not anymore new.
5. Fallout 3 (PC). War. War never changes. Being the sequel to one of the best games ever, Fallout 3 fell short of some expectations. Gone is the turn-based combat style. Gone are the hexes which make combat look like a chessboard. You might as well beat your opponent with your Counterstrike skills in Fallout 3. The skill points and the character attributes are still intact though. The graphics? Legendary! You are like exploring in a real post-nuclear world. Number Five may be too low but it is because I have not played enough Fallout 3. It is poised to be my number one game next year but it is early to tell.
* If you consider Fantasy NBA a computer game, that would have to be on the top of this list.

Top Five Celebrity Hot Chicks (My girlfriend will forgive me on this because these are celebrities anyway =P )
1. Hayley Williams. She’s the lead vocalist of the band Paramore. This petite, redhead chick with the bangs knows how to headbang, rock and sing heavenly when they play acoustic. Beauty and talent combined. That’s what you get when you see Hayley Williams.
2. Kristen Bell. Elle from Heroes. Veronica Mars. This hot chick rules. This blonde’s nasty acting in Heroes made the show watchable despite of the overlapping storylines.
3. Elisha Cuthbert. It has been quite some time since Elisha has been the hottest celebrity chick in my books and she still belongs in top. Hey, I even watched My Sassy Girl because she was part of it.
4. Chyler Leigh. When Katherine Heigl was starting to get stale in Grey’s Anatomy, I needed a motivational hot chick to put some interest in watching the show. My prayer was answered when Dr. Lexie Grey was introduced in the show. This brunette’s goody-two-shoes character makes liking her easy.
5. DJ Monica. Or VJ Monica. Well, this rocker chick with the bangs (what’s with rocker chicks wearing bangs?) went mainstream when she applied for the Myx VJ Search (and won it). I was actually constantly listening to her even if she was not yet that known. It was because I suddenly got addicted to listening to her awesome voice. Beauty and talent combined, she simply rocks with her mesmerizing voice.

Top Five Non-Computer Games
1. Monopoly
2. Poker
3. Bridge
4. Game of Life
5. Pusoy Dos

Top Five Movies (that I watched in the cinema)
1. Dark Knight
2. Dark Knight
3. Dark Knight
4. Dark Knight
5. Dark Knight

Top Five Movies (seriously!)
1. Dark Knight
2. Dark Knight
3. Dark Knight
4. Dark Knight
5. Dark Knight

Top Five Movies (OK, we get the point. The other movies were actually sucky)
1. Dark Knight. Does this movie need any explanation? It simply is the shiznit. Too bad, Heath Ledger is dead.
2. Vantage Point. I did not visualize this movie to be good. But it was despite of the fact that they have overkilled the whole movie with vantage points of the various characters.
3. Semi Pro. OK, call me biased but at least I had fun when I watched this movie. Will Ferrell’s basketball team is just plain hilarious and entertaining. Add to that the fact that they have to beat the San Antonio Spurs in the final game.
4. Get Smart. Every year, my birthday movie always goes above expectations. Adaptation and Transformers were the previous ones. Well, June is the summer month of USA that is why it is just reasonable to have a great movie during that time of the year. Nevertheless, Steve Carell, Anne Hathaway and The Rock just made this movie awesome and hilarious. At least the Great Khali is entertaining in here as compared in wrestling.
5. Ironman. This is injustice. Yeah. It should have been notches higher but I fell asleep when watching this awesome movie. I am looking forward to watching The Avengers.

Top Five TV Shows
1. Grey’s Anatomy. Finally. I was able to watch Season 2 and beyond of Grey’s Anatomy and I never stopped since. I just had the best season finale (Season 2) in the history of TV shows. The show was also constantly giving me a dose of hotties every season – Katherine Heigl (Season 1), Kate Walsh (Season 2), Chyler Leigh (Season 4), Melissa George (Season 5). That plus the drama make the show the cream of the crop this year (and all time).
2. Heroes. I continued last year’s Heroes marathon this year and I was able to catch up. Even if seasons 2 and 3 are worse than Season 1, it was just alright. The show continually delivers constant WTF moments every episode. Too bad they killed Kristen Bell’s character.
3. How I Met Your Mother. This show is simply legend...wait for it...dary! This could have been in a higher ranking but I am talking of the whole year experience. I hurriedly finished seasons 1 to 3 from late October to December (isn’t that supposed to show that this show is just awesome, Jeff?). Anyway, comedy shows always rule so I guess it will have a better ranking come next year. Ted Mosby and his gang makes me want to live in New York. Neil Patrick Harris (who plays Barney Stinson and Doogie Howser. LOL) has got to be the first gay that became cool in my books. Simply put, this show is just awesome.
4. Lost. This should be an up year for Lost as it has rebounded from being sucky by introducing a new perspective. This has been the best season since Season 1 but because there are just too many cool TV shows, I cannot put Lost on the top pedestal again. Anyway, we have a new year for Jack and company.
5. American Idol. For the first time, I was able to watch this popular show. It has faded in recent years but I think I watched it at the right time. There was just too much talent this season. David Cook rocked the stage and American Idol had its first rocker champion. It was actually great if I did not lose to a bet (yeah I bet David Archuleta to win because he was just too pop)

Top Five Sports Moments
1. Ateneo wins UAAP championship over La Salle. How sweet it is. It was a loooooooooooooong six-year ride to the coveted crown but it was worth it. After years of ups and downs, the Ateneo Blue Eagles finally got it. It was even sweeter that we won it against the greenies.
2. Boston Celtics versus Los Angeles Lakers. Celtic Green versus the Laker Gold. The main NBA rivalry is back again. Well, I did not really experience it before (since I was just a baby when Larry Bird and Magic Johnson were battling in the 80s) but this year’s matches were great. I lost two bets in here when Boston crushed LA in six games but it was just fine. Having the Celtics as the champions is a hundred times better than seeing the Spurs win it.
3. Beijing Olympics. It has been a while since I last watch the grandest stage of them all in sports. I think the Atlanta Olympics was the last time (it’s either that or the Barcelona one... I am too young when Seoul had the Olympics then). But this year, I made it to a point to watch it. It was worth it especially the final basketball game between USA and Spain.
4. Manny Pacquiao beats Oscar dela Hoya. To be honest, I have been an Oscar dela Hoya fan when I was younger. He is a great boxer (even if he sucked badly when he faced the great ones recently) that was why I was amazed when Manny dominated him this December. A moment like this makes me proud that I am a Filipino. Long live Manny!
5. Becky Hammon and the Silver Stars reach the WNBA Finals. Yup, it’s just up to there. It is because they did not win it. Nevertheless, I was amazed that this pretty, petite sharpshooting blonde was able to carry her team to beat the highly favoured Los Angeles Sparks.

No comments:

Post a Comment